Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  18:02:34  Show Profile  Click to see Chez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My snakie shed last night, so i come home to inspect her shed to make sure everything came off, and it turns out EVERYTHING came off, including 0.5Cm of her tail tip. i feel so sorry for her but i know she'll be alright Just thought i would share that

0.1.0 - corn snake - Tiny

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  18:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The tip of the tail came off? Was it in with the shed?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

jimspook
Egg

77 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  18:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must have had a bit of retained shed on there that cut the circulation off to the tail.

0.1.0 Normal CB09 - Artemis

Go to Top of Page

Chez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  18:29:41  Show Profile  Click to see Chez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

The tip of the tail came off? Was it in with the shed?

Yeah it was in the shed, i havnt checked her out yet because i just fed her but im pretty certain it was her tail tip.

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  18:40:13  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bless her. 1st shed with you?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
Go to Top of Page

Chez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  18:41:30  Show Profile  Click to see Chez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nope its about her 4th or 5th shed, ive had her since september :(

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  18:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has she had any probs with retained shed before? Maybe next time (if you dont already) use a moist hide to help with the shed? And if it looks like there is any retained shed on the tail you can dampen a towel and let her slither through it xx

Go to Top of Page

Chez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  18:46:07  Show Profile  Click to see Chez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah she must have retained last time she shed, not sure how i missed it but i did :( but good thing is she seems fine and happy :)

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  19:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the tip of the tail generally tends to fall off after repeatedly bad sheds - the shed that sticks eventually acts as a tourniquet preventing the tail from growing as the rest of the body is and so the blood supply is cut off and it too then dies and falls off, it happened with my libs (though just to point out the damage had already been done when I got her) and has happened to a few people on here - Gaz1989 had it happen to Stella his snow corn, it doesn't affect them in any way

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Edited by - HannahB on 16/06/2011 12:22:44
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  19:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww what a shame, but as a lesson to others like me, i will make sure next time i check Kellogs.

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  20:34:33  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chez

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  20:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the reason its really important to check for the eye caps and tail tips after a shed. It helps prevent totally avoidable situations. You won't find that you get 1 bad shed and 1 retained tail tip and then the tail will fall off, it will take several retained sheds and as the snake grows it will slowly cut off the blood supply to the tail tip as its constricted by the dead skin.

Spot has retained his tail tip the last 2 sheds and it was pretty easy to see, both on the shed skin and on the tail itself. Its easily solved with a damp towel or if its been a bit more stubborn a damp hide or a bath should help loosen the stuck shed.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  20:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

Why the rage face GP?
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  20:59:33  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

Why the rage face GP?

I think shes angry because of what has been said above. It would take a number of bad sheds to get to the point that the tail would fall off. It is avoidable.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  21:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma
I think shes angry because of what has been said above. It would take a number of bad sheds to get to the point that the tail would fall off. It is avoidable.

Ah, I see! Musta skimmed over that! Not good!
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  00:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my snakes tail end fell off, nothing to worry about, if it bleeds, dip it in some cold, black tea, its a natural antiseptic so will minimise any risks of infection

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  08:59:26  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have to check the tip of the tail when my guys shed, I think the tail ends normally go black/red but it's impossible to see this on all my snakes as they all have black tail tips due to being entirely black or because of natural coloring so I check, same with eyes. So I always check the shed and the snake.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  10:45:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for those saying 'oh my snake's tail tip dropped off too' if you'd had the snake some time then it's nothing to be proud of!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  16:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always check mine after each one. I spent a while treating Sabai for a retained shed on his tail the other week as it looked different on a photo only to find it was the way the sunlight had hit his tail. Good job he's a sweetie.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  17:14:49  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I struggle sometimes to see if the tail tip is on the sheds of mine especially if it has gone inside out a bit so i do 2 safety checks. 1 use a blunt needle inserted into the shed gently to see if there is any resistance hence the tip being present. 2 a damp tissue run along the tail just to see if any comes off or if it makes some retained shed noticable.

I have 2 snakes with stumpy tails, both were like it when I got them. It doesn't cause them any problems now although I could imagine it being rather uncomfortable at the time. As much as I feel that this is something that need not happen, in peoples defence if they get a snake where the tail tip already has retained shed, and it is hard to tell, the new owner may think this is normal for the snake, like a couple of mine that have dark coloured tips through natural colouring. If its the new owners first snake and they have nothing to compare it to they may not realise there is a problem until it's too late.

Maybe this thread could be used to remind new owners about the need to double check tail tips and if in doubt ask on here with maybe some photos of snake and shed

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  17:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Maybe this thread could be used to remind new owners about the need to double check tail tips and if in doubt ask on here with maybe some photos of snake and shed

^^ this. xx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000