Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  22:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is how I deal with Spot's retained tail tips, its quick, easy and so far has worked straight away.

I get a bowl and put a tiny bit of tepid water in the bottom, then let Spot move through it. It barely covers any of his body but his tail is fully submerged.

Then just let him move through my hands, not squeezing or picking at him but using my hand to create a tiny bit of resistence, and hey presto, the tip comes away.

Now it does have to be said that I don't interfere straight away I allow him time to try shed all by himself. Only when he has given up would I give him a helping hand. You could leave it and try damp hides etc but I like to just get things fixed.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2011 :  01:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot is really gorgeous! I have told my son about this thread, and he actually listened!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2011 :  12:48:42  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nice idea lotabob. Phoenix shed in pieces yesturday(normally her sheds are fine). Eye caps are off but few mm left on the tail. Been watching her and she has been doing the exact same thing you have said by herself...clever snake...If its not off 2moz then will give it a soak.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2011 :  16:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think mistakes can happen, and if its a first snake, then even more so, i can see why people are getting upset... but i can also see how this has happened, and atleast they were honest... and atleast the snake is ok!!

My first snake Kchalice shed bad but differently every time!! first time she shed fine to her tummy and then i helped with the rest... second she shed really bad!! and i had to get the whole head off!!

Last time she shed better but still had to get the lower end off,

and i still struggled whether i had got the tail shed off or not.. sometimes i feel its really hard to see... and i was seeing things in this case because the tail shed deff came off!!

Luckily my other snake sheds fine!!

But i do always panick every time Kchalice sheds because im scared of missing something !! i check the shed like 10 times !! every time!

1 corn snake: Kchalice-Serendipity
2 dogs: Kane and chester
1 C0ckatill: Rolo
1 gold fish: chips
2 Cats : Max and Jess

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  08:36:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
with the internet it's sooooo very easy to find out this information, i don't think ignorance should be an excuse with animal welfare.

last year we had a bloke and his 2 kids come into work with a baby rabbit he'd bought them for an easter present, he'd just been feeding it table scraps not proper rabbit food and the poor thing was half dead and so emaciated it had to be put to sleep his denfence was 'the bloke on the market stall [that sold him the rabbit] didn't tell him it needed to eat rabbit food'

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  15:34:36  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Out of interest those with various morphs, is it harder to see with snows and other lighter coloured snakes rather than something like a normal? I find it difficult sometimes to see on my normal after a fresh shed, I have to actually check the shed sometimes and then really look hard when I have used a flannel to try and take the very tip off as it is only normally the one very end scale. I would imagine without looking at the shed it would be impossible to tell with some light coloured snakes.

That is truely shocking GP :o did he like know rabbit food existed or did he think it was just something you can use?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  21:12:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i've no idea, he was just a numpty owner poor baby hadn't eaten anything for a week and barely drunk anything either, they just thought it didn't like whatever he'd chucked in for it...

some morphs it's definitely more difficult to see when they're in blue or if they have any retained shed which is why careful inspection of the shed skin and the snake is vital.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000