yet another bad shed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

panda1987
Snake Mite

34 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  22:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my corn has started shedding again this is the second time since we have had him and they have both been very patchy is it ok for the snake to have continuous bad sheds (aslong as i make sure its all off) or is it something i should speak to the shop i got him from about?

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  22:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Romeo was very bad with sheds, it took him a few before he managed to shed in full. You can put some damp moss in a hide for him when hes in blue so that he it helps with the shed. If you think he seems to have retained any shed you can dampen a towel and let him slither through xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/

Edited by - Mamma on 12/06/2011 22:29:11
Go to Top of Page

panda1987
Snake Mite

34 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  23:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats what we did last time will leave him a couple of days due to feeding today and then sort him out, cant wait for him to do one properly
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  01:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could always give him a mist every morning when he pops in blue, I think that helps, I could be wrong as I've never had a problem shedder.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  01:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Damp hide usually does the trick, If I need one, I use a small tub with a hole cut into the top that has some damp moss inside.
If not then you could try moving the water bowl closer to or on top of the heat mat.

Some snakes do just seem to have issues with shedding and quite often for no particular reason but will usually stop after a while.
The other thing to ask is does he have any fairly rough (ish) stuff in there to rub himself on when trying to shed?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  07:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if your snake is larger like mine, why dont you use a plain old pillow case, i just put it in water wring it out an put him in there for about 15-20mins and he sorted
Go to Top of Page

panda1987
Snake Mite

34 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  21:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he has a rubber plant and 2 coconut hides, will look at moss, where can i get it from?
Go to Top of Page

DJRenegade
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  22:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
garden centres if i remember correctly - Sphagnum moss

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=sphagnum moss&hl=en&prmd=ivns&biw=1440&bih=815&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10704029672325107388&sa=X&ei=oH32TfrsMY238gOWzqW-Bw&ved=0CGUQ8wIwAA

1.0.0 Corn
0.1.0 Boa
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  22:17:11  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Patiently waiting on mine to shed, she's making me wait for her first shed with me - she's got coconut hide, exo hide, bark piece, stones to slither round and rub on, loo roll tubes and fake plastic ivy, plenty for her to rub on.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

panda1987
Snake Mite

34 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  22:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool will go have a look tomorrow guessing cant just use moss from the gutter although the day i find the guttering on my tower block will be the day i learn to fly
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000