handling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  15:06:18  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This might sound daft but how will I know if my cilla is happy to be handled ? When I get her out she squirms so much always curling round my hands and arms etc so is this what they do or is she trying to get away ? she is almost 6 months old

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  15:20:45  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you get her in a regular handling routine and allow her to get used to your scent she should be fine. They can be quite speedy but generally they get used to being handled.
As for curling round your hands and arms that the cutest thing about snakes :), to them it can be quite like sitting on a high branch they want to cling on safely.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  15:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
both mine love to curl on my hands and crawl down my arms, it just depends how far you feel comfortable letting them go

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  15:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll know the difference between just exploring and them having had enough. One of the obvious signs I watch for is lack of tongue flicking or almost exaggerated tongue flicking where they hold the tongue out far longer than is necessary (basically they are no longer smelling the environment so not exploring). You will get to read your snake though. With Spot I get him out and he goes mad exploring, tongue flicking all over, then he settles, wraps round my hand and steals my body heat for a bit, then he will have another little explore, when he starts trying to find places to hide I will consider putting him back unless he disappears into a sleeve, then its a waiting game for him coming back out.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  22:43:25  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aww that's so cute thanks guys x x
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  01:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the ways I've found, it that when happy and relaxed, you can gentle bend and wind a snake around your fingers (when small obviously haha) and they will relax into it, not a problem. When they're getting fed up, if you try it they will put up a bit of resistance, to point of them refusing point blank to be 'bent'. Of course, there are other signs, such as darting, tongue signs and whathaveyou :)
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  07:55:24  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh she's always letting me wrap my fingers round her :) x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000