Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

vllb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  13:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I picked up three new corns, they are all 3 yrs old, a male and two females. They all came together in the same viv and they guy said they had always lived together. Anyway when i got them home I had to clean them out because there was dried poo all over the viv and bits a shredded skin all in the aspen, so I put them in a rub and gave the viv a good scrub out and put them back. Today is feeding day so I have tried to get them out because I salwasy feed in rubs and both of the females has been very upset and actually striking out and one tagged my son. I found out that they are used to being fed in the viv, the guy dangled food at them and they struck at it. My question is mainly, I think i should seperate them into rubs, but is this going to stress them out more? And if I do, will they get used to the idea that they get lifted out to be fed?

Sorry for the long post, temps are all normal and statted and there are 4 hides in the viv atm. Thanks

Victoria. Mum to 3 wonderful kids and :-
1.0.0 Snow Corn. Eira
0.1.0 Caramel Corn, Molly
2.0.1 Amel Corn. Harley and Dillon and Olly
0.2.0 Anery Corn. Marley and Daisy
0.3.0 Carolina Corn, Nesta and Doris and Rosie
1.0.0 BCI Pheonix
3.1.0 cats, Harry, Kara, Henry and Rory.
0.0.1 Asian Flying tree frog,
1.0.0 Tomato Frog, Tommy
0.0.2 Giant African Land Snails, Amira and Amiri

vllb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  13:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry too for the spelling mistakes, it wont let me edit it

1.0.0 Snow Corn. Eira
1.0.0 BCI Pheonix
1.0.0 Tomato Frog, Tommy
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  13:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vllb, your brave! I'll just link you this link but be prepared to duck as the responses come in.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

vllb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  13:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know all the arguements for co-habiting and I DON'T want to keep them together at all, just dont want to make them worse if seperating is going to do that

1.0.0 Snow Corn. Eira
1.0.0 BCI Pheonix
1.0.0 Tomato Frog, Tommy
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  13:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Separating them won't have any negative effect at all. It will actually be a good thing and help them to relax and calm down. Been surrounded by competitors means they have to stay on guard 24/7.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  13:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your snakes will be a lot less stressed if seperated. They don't care about each other so really its more of a case of seperating them,giving them a week to settle and seeing how you go on. You may well find they calm down once seperated as the striking could well be stress induced.
Theres also the worry of unplanned breeding between them if you keep them together,if they haven't already. Not meaning to worry you.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  13:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read that you were more for the idea of seperating them. I feel this is a good idea too. xxx Good luck with your 3 new corns xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  13:59:05  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My 2 came in the same viv when I adopted them and Custard the female was most definitely the boss which made Rhubarb one very stressed out snake, I separated them by splitting the viv in 2 while I had a second viv made and it was the very best thing I could have done for both of them as I now have 2 very settled happy snakes, the alternative doesn't bare thinking about.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

vllb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  16:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, the guys I had them off already had two cluches off them this year but he couldn't tell me which ones, and when i cleaned them out there were slug eggs still in the viv, I have seperated them, never intended keeping them together cos as I said, he used to dangle food in front of them and I think that is what has meade them viv defensive. The male is very laid back but both of the girls are very uptight and when you do manage to get hold of them they hold their whole body rigid. So now both the girls are in seperate rubs on their own and I will now enforce a 7 day no touch period and see if that makes them better. At least I know they have all eaten today

1.0.0 Snow Corn. Eira
1.0.0 BCI Pheonix
1.0.0 Tomato Frog, Tommy
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  16:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With a bit of work and patience you should be able to tame them down a bit. I'm glad you have separated them its going to be easier for you now to monitor each one. A trick I've heard working in taming them to you is placing something that smells of you into their enclosure, that way they get used to your scent and associate it with the safety of their enclosure. I'm of the opinion that feeding your snake in their viv isn't a factor in them becoming defensive as defence and eating are miles apart in behaviour terms so its up to you, you can feed them in feeding tubs or just as normal. If you are calm and steady and confident and spend a little time each day handling them they will become accustomed to that and will settle down a bit and tolerate you been in their space.

edit: Don't forget to allow them 7 days at least to settle in to their new living arrangements (you'll soon see the change of them as individuals).

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Edited by - lotabob on 12/06/2011 16:20:38
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  16:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad that you are going to separate. Even if you wanted to breed them you shouldn't cohabit all year just when you want them to do the deed.

Being solitary can only be a good thing as far as I am concerned. It removes any stress which is avoidable during a move to a new home. Good luck with the new additions and keep us posted on how they are doing… And it goes without saying we want to see photos asap.

Go to Top of Page

vllb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  16:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot, your advice is very much appreciated I am fairly new to corns (got our first in Feb) and am still learning, I just hope that Dillon, Doris and Daisy aren't going to prove too much for me, and yes Bob, there will now be at least a 7 day no handle eriod, I have had them all out this morning and they all ate individually so there is no need to touch them now for a while

1.0.0 Snow Corn. Eira
1.0.0 BCI Pheonix
1.0.0 Tomato Frog, Tommy

Edited by - vllb on 12/06/2011 16:24:45
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  16:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure you'll do just fine and so will Dillon, Doris and Daisy.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  16:53:04  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on your purchases. It sounds like you have got it all under control and I'm glad they are now with someone who is caring for their wellbeing. I can't wait to see pics of them once they have settled in.

Just as a thought, seeing as they have been housed together, they have already produced eggs and you can't be certain there isn't going to be more, it might be worthwhile to think about gathering together the equipment needed for laying eggs and incubating (if you want to incubate them). Better to be prepared and not have to use it than have a last minute panic

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

vllb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  16:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh jeez KD do you think that is an option, the eggs they laid are still in the guy's incubator, is it possible for them to be pregnant again already? The guy they came from is a ball python breeder and he did say if I had eggs he would put them in his incubator for me, but I dont want the responsibility of more unwanted corns so if they do lay again I think I might just freeze them any way

1.0.0 Snow Corn. Eira
1.0.0 BCI Pheonix
1.0.0 Tomato Frog, Tommy
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  17:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vllb

...........but I dont want the responsibility of more unwanted corns so if they do lay again I think I might just freeze them any way

I admire the honesty and your intended actions, well done.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  17:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vllb

Oh jeez KD do you think that is an option, the eggs they laid are still in the guy's incubator, is it possible for them to be pregnant again already? The guy they came from is a ball python breeder and he did say if I had eggs he would put them in his incubator for me, but I dont want the responsibility of more unwanted corns so if they do lay again I think I might just freeze them any way

Its definitely a possibility. You'll just have to play it by ear.

I also agree with Lotabob, I do not think for one second that feeding in the viv causes viv-defensiveness- sounds to me like they are stressed because of their housing setup or that they aren't hugely used to being handled/have been handled badly.

Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  18:11:35  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh and one more thing..... Pictures

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

vllb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  19:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

oh and one more thing..... Pictures

I will as soon as they settle down, we have finally got Doris into her new rub and she bit and struggled and rattled like she is a diamond back...now have one ****ed off snake so I am not going near her for a few days, Daisy was upset but nowhere near as bad. The stupid thing was, when I handled them yesterday at the guy's house they were all co-operative to a degree, but then again he does have a pet burm at 16 ft and 8 stone so I suppose a corn to him is nothing, oh and he has 27 Royals too.

But seriously thanks guys for not having a go at me and giving me good advice I appreciate it

1.0.0 Snow Corn. Eira
1.0.0 BCI Pheonix
1.0.0 Tomato Frog, Tommy
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  19:32:25  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The question i would ask is did you get a look at the condition of the other reptiles he had. If He can keep these 3 in this way are the other reptiles being kept in similar ways(lack of hygene, care)?
Well done for taking on the challenge. Sounds like you have everything in hand!

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

vllb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  20:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarotpodge

The question i would ask is did you get a look at the condition of the other reptiles he had. If He can keep these 3 in this way are the other reptiles being kept in similar ways(lack of hygene, care)?
Well done for taking on the challenge. Sounds like you have everything in hand!

Thanks and yes, he has a custom built reptile room and all his other animals were spotless, this is why I was so shocked when I got these home

1.0.0 Snow Corn. Eira
1.0.0 BCI Pheonix
1.0.0 Tomato Frog, Tommy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000