New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  15:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two thirds of the viv 3" of sand with hide and basking spot. One third with self adhesive tiles on the floor with a large piece of oak bark and a cool hide. My theory is that in the side with bark I could put the dubia roach, mealworms or morio worms loose. The two side would be seperated by a 3 1/2" high piece of conti board from front to back so the sand would not go into the side where the food is and the roach and worms would be unable to get over it.
Thought this may help my berber skinks to feed as they seem very reluctant to use a dish to feed from, they are always searching in the sand.

Opinions on this idea please.

Or what about using the xxl beech chippings? Could this be used then put the bugs in it loose shorley the pieces would be too large to be swallowed but the lizards would still be able to forage in it naturally.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  21:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought that lizards did eat sand anyway to help with digestion and also for the minerals etc.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  22:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats interesting, someone else has told me not to worry about them eating substrate beacause as they are likley to be WC they will be use to bugs in sand and will spit the substrate out!

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  22:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe its that some eat the sand some spit it out, some shouldn't be kept on it. I'm doing a bit of research at the moment, I want a lizard and have seen a giant day gecko (it wasn't giant now though its tiny) and fell in love a little bit.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  23:32:42  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i reckon if they are being fussy then go for it and see what happens - anything is worth a shot :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  08:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Maybe its that some eat the sand some spit it out, some shouldn't be kept on it. I'm doing a bit of research at the moment, I want a lizard and have seen a giant day gecko (it wasn't giant now though its tiny) and fell in love a little bit.

These 2 berber skinks are very amusing but I have to say that they are a challenge, snakes are SO much easier it would seem. I wouldn't part with these two though.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000