Snow shedding. How can you tell?? lol
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  00:18:30  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

When I got my snow corn out to feed earlier, I noticed a fresh shed in the viv. I had NO idea she was in shed when I had her out on Saturday! I never knew the last time either, other than a slight change in behaviour. I do find it impossible to tell with snows!

And the shed wasn't a clean one this time. There were at least 3 pieces to it and she seems to have retained some along a section of her body. The tail and eyes look ok though. I ran her through a damp flannel a couple of times but it didn't help, so I've just put a damp hide in the viv now which hopefully she will use in the coming days and the remaining skin will come off. If I could tell when she was in shed I'd put the damp hide in straight away to help the process.

At the moment she's shedding every 4 weeks or so, so I guess in about 3 weeks time I will just add the hide in preparation. Last time she had a lovely and clean 1 piece shed, so I don't know what changed this time?

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  00:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its all in the eyes
Salem has really obvious milky eyes when he is in shed.
Also his tummy loses the lovely rainbow shine.
Hiding away more isnt really a giveaway for him since he's always hiding! ...asbo snake

Maybe it was that you didnt put the damp hide in with her, or maybe she snagged herself on something in the viv and tore the old skin?
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  00:57:23  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my snow is actually quite easy to tell with, he looks just as dull as the others, as figs says they looses that rainbow shine, plus he is more moody.

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  01:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The eyes, thats all I get to go by with Lister. Doesn't even get moody :P
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  07:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only ever had 1 whole shed with harry, the others he's managed to catch on something in his faun and has torn them, all the pieces match though

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  08:43:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Figs

Its all in the eyes

totally agree, that's pretty much all that i go on with Spruce my snow, but the hypo snow stripe is virtually impossible to tell (but he's only tiny)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  09:47:01  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have trouble with my butters. I don't usually notice the eyes, it tends to be a feeling that the belly isn't as white as it usually is, more a light cream, but I never really know for sure until they actually shed.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  10:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With my Snow the eyes go sort of grey. I can also tell by the fact that he uses his hides. The rest of the time he curls up on top of them, or wraps himself round a branch like a GTP.

Having said that though, I have found 2 sheds in the viv when I hadn't realised he was in shed.

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  15:39:57  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cheers guys. I don't get her out very often so have missed the cloudy eye stage on both occasions. Next time she's out I'll study her belly and see if it helps for next time.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  20:13:38  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the pattern disappears on my snows when they're in blue and the yellow goes from bright to very pastelly

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000