Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Concerned for corn snake in aquatic shop...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kittypuss85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  15:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I'm only a newbie so I might just be worried for him/her unnessecarily but I've just been in an aquatic shop and they have a corn snake in a faunarium. It's hide appears to be too small for it as she's under it, but part of it is lifted, resting on her, like she doesn't fit. She appears to be partially shed, some in the faunarium but a lot still attached. And she didn't have a heat mat that I could see.

She has been in the shop at least a month as I first saw her when I was looking at getting my own corn. They told me then she was 23 inches and almost a year old, on medium size mice. I didn't get her as I was looking for a baby, but now I'm thinking I should have as things just don't look right for her there.

As a newbie I didn't know enough to challenge the owner today, so I thought I'd ask what people think from what I've explained and what I could do. I can't afford to get her and another whole set up, as I only got mine 2 weeks ago.

I'm probably just being silly, but thought I should at least check.
Thanks

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  16:55:45  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I does sound like its not receiving the appropriate care, but I would advise not to purchase him/her.

You might feel it's the right thing to do because you feel sorry for this snake, but in the long run it's not going to help, because if you buy the snake you are putting money in the hands of the shop owner, who will only re-stock and the circle continues.

Best bet would be if he went out of business, or just decide that there's no trade for snakes, so giving him money won't help us achieve this.

I would advise, if you are brave enough, to tell the owner of your concerns. Maybe they don't know enough about snake care, so don't mean to mistreat it, just don't know any better. Things may improve then.

If that fails, report the snakes condition to the RSPCA or similar. They might not do anything, but that's as much as you can be expected to do I'm afraid.

Poor snakey

Go to Top of Page

weasle1uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  08:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would report it. If they dont know enough about keeping a animal no matter what species they should not be stocking them at all.
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  13:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a tough situation. What I did recently was after seeing that the shop was not keeping the reptiles in good condition, I spoke with the owner and he was more than happy for my advice and even took my mobile number so he can call me with any issues (which he has done).

If you were to report him then there is no guarantee that anything will be done. On the other hand if you were to go in all guns blazing and burnt bridges with the owner or simply boycot the shop then all the animals would remain in the same state.

It may be just that some simple suggestions and education could solve the issues.

Do let us all know what action you took.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000