Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  20:36:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
same here, £5 each for anerys and snows though i don't think they sell with quite as much mark-up as your local eej!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  23:42:35  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some insane profit margins going on in some places!!! Might have to open me up a snake shop... lol

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  08:26:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
in defence of the shops (but only up to a point!! lol).......
they do have considerable overheads and they may be stuck with the hatchies for a considerable time which all costs them more money

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  09:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hatchie normals,amels,snows and anerys are all £45 at my local pet shop.
The thing is people will spend that much on them,I did lol. Obviously knowing what I know now and finding good recommended breeders of them I wouldn't again,but in the case of my first snake I knew no better.
I have to say Loki was worth every penny though.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  09:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, the problem is that with breeders pricing snows at £5 or £10 everyone is pricing each other out of the market!! If all breeders were consistent and "average" with their prices, eg: snows being worth, on average, £25-£30, then that is was people will pay. I would happily pay £20+ for a nice snow, but if I could get said nice snow for a fiver, who am I kidding, I would buy it.

At the end of the day, is ANY snake, even a normal corn, *really* worth only £5??

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

MsThomson
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  09:37:32  Show Profile  Visit MsThomson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the amels, anerys, snows at my local petshop are 40, the others start at 65. This is for hatchlings and adults. *plus a really nice pastel royal for £150 but its looksy no touchy for me....damn this expensive house move!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  10:26:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

At the end of the day, is ANY snake, even a normal corn, *really* worth only £5??

unfortunately they're worth what people will pay for them and if that's £5 then it's £5, if i didn't accept the price that was offered i'd more than likely be stuck with the damn things!!

if a breeder wants to grow-on their homebred stock then that's an investment, and not one that everyone can or wants to afford

Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  13:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i payed 40 for my normal and the shop i got her from loves normals and would take them all day long, he also pays £5 and sells for 40

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  21:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

unfortunately they're worth what people will pay for them and if that's £5 then it's £5, if i didn't accept the price that was offered i'd more than likely be stuck with the damn things!!

if a breeder wants to grow-on their homebred stock then that's an investment, and not one that everyone can or wants to afford

But what is a fiver to most people? I mean, anyone buying a snake should be able to pay for the setup, heating, food, vets bills etc etc for possibly up to 20 years..... its not the buyer not being able to afford the snake, its the buyer being damn cheeky- personally, I'd tell them where to go.

People only think they can get snakes for £5 because they CAN get snakes for £5- why? Because someone, somewhere, has sold that species/snake for £5. If all breeders set a minimum average price then there wouldn't be this growing problem of snakes going for next to nothing, or having to be given away for free.

If I bred nice snows, I would advertise for at least £20- but if someone else is selling for £5 then, realistically, I can't and won't sell. If there was only a couple of quid in it, then imo the market for sellers would be much healthier.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  21:12:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
but if you're selling to a shop they pretty much dictate the price as the market is so flooded......selling privately you can ask what you want for it but you might end up stuck with it for some time, and then end up taking literally peanuts for it despite you housing, heating, feeding and providing for it during that time

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000