New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

StephenParker846
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  19:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the Doncaster Snake Show last September (2010) we treated ourselves to 2 baby corns. A male (Flame) and female (Humbug). We kept both snakes together in a small glass viv. 3 hides, stones and sticks to climb and a green plastic foliage bush (also bought at the show).

Both snakes were feeding well. I seperated them at feeding time and they were both eating 2 pinkies every 6 or 7 days. Around 10 weeks ago I found a couple of regurgetated pinkies in the viv. I didn't think too much of it, just removed them. I continued to feed both snakes in the usual manner. Humbug then stopped eating about 2 weeks later. I did not think this too unusual because I know that they can sometimes go awhile without eating. Anyway after about 4 weeks of Humbug not eating I decided to have a proper look at her. This was on the Friday night. I found that she had a lump about 1/3rd of the way down her body. She didn't like me touching it so I left her alone and decided to take her to a vet first thing Saturday morning. I got up saturday morning and found her dead in the viv.

Since finding her dead I have noticed that Flame (the surviving snake) has changed his behaviour. He is more or less in permanent hiding where as before you could often see him roaming around the viv. Since Humbug's death Flame has shed and finally eaten 2 pinkies this week.

My question is really this "do you think that Flame is missing his girlfriend Humbug and this is why he has become stressed"? If so do you think that I should get another corn of a similar size and age to Humbug?

I welcome your advice. Thanks.

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  19:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are solitary animals, as awful as it sounds he is probably happier now he is on his own and is now acting as snakes do and able to relax and hide. Roaming around is not always a sign of a happy snake.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  19:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StephenParker846

"do you think that Flame is missing his girlfriend Humbug and this is why he has become stressed"?

I welcome your advice. Thanks.

Short reply. No.

TBH you would have had to separate them anyway as they were opposite sex and you wouldn't have wanted them breeding too early.

Also as you have discovered, if one is ill or regurges, it's hard to know which one.

Have a read of this thread as it gives lots of info:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

and this

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5175

Edited by - Invalid User on 05/06/2011 19:59:51
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  20:17:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by **Louise**

quote:
Originally posted by StephenParker846

"do you think that Flame is missing his girlfriend Humbug and this is why he has become stressed"?

Short reply. No.

another short reply (i daren't say much more! ). no

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  20:50:11  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds to me she got egg bound?

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  22:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Only1Nitro

sounds to me she got egg bound?

I doubt it at that age.

And, for the OP- no.

His setup and surroundings and changed, and he is readjusting. Give him time and he will be just fine. Snakes neither need nor want "friends" and they certainly don't get lonely.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  23:30:18  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
long answer:

Your remaining snake is now hiding a lot because that is what young snakes do most of the time, and now has no competition for the best spots. They were both roaming around trying to find those best spots and as they are solitary trying to find the unoccupied spots.

The constant regurging was most likely that one snake found the ideal place at the ideal temperature and one of two things happened: 1- the male bullied the female out of the best spot, or 2- the female was unable to find an unoccupied place at the ideal temperature for digesting.

By keeping your remaining male alone he will no doubt be better off and much happier and healthier and less stressed by the presence of another snake.

(I think that was very well restrained! )

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  08:58:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

(I think that was very well restrained! )

well done hun, i couldn't!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000