New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rikki44
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  12:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, one of our corn snakes has started shedding again for the thirs time in just over a month. He is two and a half and so is now about three feet long and its only now his sheds have become so close together, with it being once a month for about 8 months previous to this. Is it anything to worry about at all? I wouldnt think twice when he was younger as this is quite normal but now just a little concerned, hope you can help, thank you

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  12:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, has he got any scratches or wounds on him? Has he got mites? Those would be the first things I check :)
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  13:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what are you feeding him? 3 in one month is certainly odd for a two and a half year old, though you say he was shedding once a month before that, which is also not right.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

rikki44
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  14:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have checked him for mites or scratches or wounds and nothing, had him out for ages checking him before going into shed but nothing seems different at all, feeding him large mice which he doesnt have a problem with either. Really not sure why his shed patterns are so different
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  14:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is he growing fast?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

rikki44
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  14:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no not obviously no, i wouldnt say quicker than any other snake really. when he isn't in shed he is perfectly fine eats, drinks and interacts fine doesnt seem ill or anything just this shedding so quick at his age worryin me slightly
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  16:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not really sure to be honest. I mean there are lots of things it might be but the obvious ones are growing, damage, parasites.

What type of substrate are you using?

There is also a chance of it been some kind of bacterial or fungal infection is there any discolouration on the scales or edge of the scales?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Jackk94
Hatchling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  18:00:54  Show Profile  Click to see Jackk94's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how often do they shed usually?
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  19:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on their age, as hatchlings they shed a lot more frequently than an adult.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

rikki44
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  19:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
enzo usually sheds once every two months (i previously said each month but that was our younger one), we use snake aspen bedding and has always been the same stuff never changed the make etc. and no, once shed his scales and colour are perfect, bright and no discolouration!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  21:22:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
even hatchies at their peak growth-rate you'd only expect to shed about monthly, usual reasons for frequent sheddingare illness, injury or external parasites

out of interest, does your snake like to climb a lot?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  23:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with GP, except one point, with my truely extensive experience with mites, they have made no difference what soever to the shed cycle. Sometimes snakes just have a mad cycle of shedding, without extensive biochemical testing, you wont know if its just a hormone imbalance.

Go to Top of Page

rikki44
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  20:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi ginger pony yeah enzo does climb on his branches and bushes in his viv yeah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: