Corn Snake Health
 Lifespan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  21:27:34  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My girl (i say girl but dont know for sure) is 11 years old. As with all areas of corn care, there is alot of conflicting information out there on the web regarding possible expected lifespan for corns. What are your experiances
is there any extra care needed for our elderly friends...

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  10:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got my first corn in feb this year, asked lots of questions for months before getting him doing my research etc and was told by other snake keepers that corns in captivity can expect to live anything up to 20 years and possibly beyond - i've already been informed by my 10 year old daughter she wants to take him when she moves out - not sure about that like :) i love him

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  22:31:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there's a few of us with corns in their late teens, and i for one fully expect my OAP to live into his early 20s

my OAP did have trouble shedding a few years ago but now he sheds absolutely fine, i had previously put it down to his age but maybe not! i'm quite careful about his diet and monitor his weight to make sure he doesn't gain or lose any but apart from that i treat him like any other corn and you really wouldn't guess his age

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  15:47:59  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks for that. there is so much conflicting info out there its hard to get the facts. This is a great place to get answers from people who have experianced it.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Rose
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  15:55:50  Show Profile  Click to see Ruby Rose's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As with any captive bred animal, as long as your snakes are well cared for they can and do live into their early twenties. I have a few OAP snakes and am expecting them to reach their early twenties and I monitor them just as carefully as all my other snakes.

Ruby Rose Mitchell

Corns, Kings, Dwarf Boas, Emerald Tree Boas, Milks, Rats, Trinket Snakes, African House Snakes, Garter Snakes, Hoggies and green & red tree pythons. Not enough space to put pics of all my snakes
Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  21:15:14  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i was under the impression 25-30??

either way its not a hamster that will die soon a snake is a long term commitment and if you get bored easily maybe this isn't the pet for you

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  20:34:32  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
makes no difference how old they live to me. one of those how long is a piece of string questions, lol. just interested in others experiance. :-)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  00:09:49  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My oldest guy is comming up to 13 and I have another about 12/11. Only thing I have noticed is that they have gotton a bit duller in colour and they never used to have any problems shedding, now sometimes there will be retained tail bits or not all whole sheds as they used too. Not sure how long I expect them to live, maybe 15-18 since one is over wieght and another has alayws been a fussy cow.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  08:42:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
when they hit about 8 years old their colouring often does get darker

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  19:58:38  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
phoenix has actually improved with her shed as she has got older. it used to tear (never any problems) but now sheds whole and cleanly.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000