Heat mat help?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

m00sifer
Snake Mite

11 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  18:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies as I'm sure this has been posted many times before but I've searched everywhere and found so much conflicting advice. I have recently moved my year old corn snake from a RUB (which was heated by a heat mat placed underneath, outside the box) into a wooden viv. I currently have the heat mat inside the viv and covered only by a very thin layer of aspen. I've read posts saying this is completely safe to do as long as it's statted, which it is, and that the thermostat probe can't be moved by the snake, but others saying it's dangerous as the snake could get burnt if in direct contact with the mat. I'm not sure if this only applies to heavier bodied snakes but would rather not take the risk if there's any chance. I am considering siliconing a piece of lino over the top of the mat but don't know if that could cause it to overheat.

Thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's stressing me out and I don't know if I'm worrying over nothing :-(

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  18:29:52  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What your talking about is called Thermal Blocking (I think) and it applies to heavier bodied snakes, it is where the heavy bodied snakes remain laying on the mat, their body in direct contact with the mat and the heat build up from the mat is not allowed to escape - like when a smaller bodied corn snake lays on their heat mat. This causes burns in the heavier snakes.

At least that's my take on it anyway.

Your right to be worried but your snake will be fine as long as the stat probe can't be moved of mat by the snake.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

m00sifer
Snake Mite

11 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  19:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So no need to cover the mat then? Also would it be safe to stick the probe down with aquarium sealant, or could it melt?
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  19:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are worried, you can always pop a bit of thick cardboard over the top :)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  20:20:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what you're currently doing is fine

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  20:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have my corn on a heat mat in a viv, he always moves the substrate out of the way to sit straight on the mat. I have the probes glued to the mat ( I use a hot glue gun to stick it down, its quick and really easy ) and it never gets anywhere near hot enough to burn the snake.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

m00sifer
Snake Mite

11 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  20:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I had it covered with a thin layer of aspen but she keeps pushing it off, seems to prefer sitting directly on top of it. Glad to know it won't be a problem :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000