any cheap hides?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jackk94
Hatchling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  18:15:41  Show Profile  Click to see Jackk94's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i just went to my pet shop and they're selling hides for about £20! bit expensive for a piece of plastic made to look like a fake rock. anyone got any ideas to make a hide so it looks nice too or a website that sells cheap hides?

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  18:21:30  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
pets at home hamster/gerbil etc hides, much more cheaper, i recently bought a few for my little 4 month old hatchling, they are big so will do her a while and when i use them i will put lots of shredded paper in them so she'll feel secure.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  18:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there's a page on reptile diy about how to make your own hides

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  18:26:03  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mine live in easter egg boxes...but ailsa is correct after all she learnt that tip from a genious

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/

Edited by - Mamma on 27/05/2011 18:26:57
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  18:31:05  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I did indeed, Mamma you are a genious my dear

Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 27/05/2011 18:31:15
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  20:17:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
most of the juvies have washed out Philadelphia tubs (other brands are available), the adults have biscuit/Celebrations tubs (again, other brands of chocolates are available!)
some do have E-T or reptile branded hides and we also use the bendy stick hides meant for gerbils/guinea pigs/rabbits etc and i really do like these

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  20:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

most of the juvies have washed out Philadelphia tubs (other brands are available), the adults have biscuit/Celebrations tubs (again, other brands of chocolates are available!)

Same here

Plus ceral boxes cut down, cake boxes, butter tubs, biscuit boxesinfact anything I can recycle and use I will.

Saves me a fortune and if they get messed on I just chuck them away.

Edited by - Invalid User on 27/05/2011 20:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  20:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one noticing the £20 FOR A HIDE price? xD
That is insaaaane!
The exo terra hides only cost about £5 for a small one!
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  20:47:48  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Am all for hides from boxes and recycling and hides you can wash lol

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  21:05:03  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've collected a number of loo rolls and spread tubs, but still seem to end up buying coconut or ET hides! But I still keep them 'for emergencies'. Not sure what that emergency might be though... lol

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Jackk94
Hatchling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  21:12:29  Show Profile  Click to see Jackk94's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think i'm going to buy some exoterra hides online. thanks guys (:
Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  10:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a how to on diy hides , the ones from garden centres , wilkinsons etc are 50p and take 2 minutes work . Washable and probably never have to be replaced for a long time :)

One last jump , that's all we have to take Holth .
Wearily the old queen gathered heself to spring ;
Moreta gratefully began her litany .
Black , blacker , blackest -
They went between .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000