New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucyB
Snake Mite

47 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  08:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone....
Elmo has been with us since Monday morning, and apart from water changes and sorting out the stat probe I have left him alone to settle in. The nerves are now stating to set in though with regards to our first handling session in the next few days!!! I have held a few snakes before and held Elmo for 10 minutes or so on Monday before bringing him home, but It has just occured to me that I have never picked one up and I'm a bit nervous! Any tips? I don't want to just grab him, frighten him, get bitten and lose my nerve forever?!!!!! I know that once I have done it once I'll be fine, but I tend to overthink these things and work myself up the first time!

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  09:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert, but when i first brought harry home i felt the same, i tend to stroke him somewhere near his tail so he know's i'm coming, was told to pick him up approx 1/3 way down his body, avoiding the head area, once i've picked him up, i let him pretty much crawl on me whereever he wants - within reason, good luck and enjoy

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  09:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the best trick is slow and steady and no sudden movements so you dont panic them, pick him up from the side never come from above and you will be fine its amazing how fast they get used to you and start to relax, hope it goes well for you

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  09:29:37  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I let the snakes come to me i find with mine they dont like it when you come for them from above. xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  10:34:30  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Slow and gentle movement when i pick up mine, she's still settling in so doesn't come to me like Mamma's snakes

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  00:09:06  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if he's a baby don't bother with the slow and steady approach, he will just 'run' away. Be quick and firm but gentle. If he is very nervous or shows any defensiveness or aggression use one hand to totally cup over him and the other to pick him up.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  01:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would just go for it, aim to pick it up around the middle of its body though, grabbing it too close to the head or tail could annoy it (I am not allowed to touch Spot's tail, he will take off like a rocket if I do). If its feeling brave and boistrous it may give a hiss or tail rattle but just ignore it, its more likely to be a bluff than meaning business.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Snake Mite

47 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  12:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so excited.... Just did it (well okay..... made hubby pick him up and give him to me!!!) and held him for a good 15 mins. He settled in about 30 seconds! Am not totally smitten and all nerves are cured. I want another one already!!!
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  12:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LucyB

Am not totally smitten and all nerves are cured. I want another one already!!!

am presuming you me 'now'

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  12:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed it!

Have to say if I tried the slow and steady approach with any of mine I would never catch them, let alone hold them lol

I just lift the hide or whatever they are under and pick them straight up, no messing. More so with the boas lol if I tried to slowly aproach them with my hand I think I would end up with one hanging off the end of it!
Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Snake Mite

47 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  12:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

quote:
Originally posted by LucyB

Am not totally smitten and all nerves are cured. I want another one already!!!

am presuming you me 'now'

Haha yes! Too excited to type!
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  14:06:20  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I did the slow/steady when handling mine for first few times, now i just lift hide and lift her right up tho if she's in a loo roll tube she takes some nudging to get her out lol

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  14:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just goin and pick her up around the middle - not super speedy or slow, otherwise she'll either freak out and run off (too fast) or see me coming and run off (too slow) Or I just pick up whatever she's hiding in and scoop her out :) It gets a lot easier over time, don't be put off by the fact they don't seem to want to be picked up at first, they usually settle down quite quickly once the picking up part is over :)

zan x
Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Snake Mite

47 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  16:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked him up by myself this morning. Literally just moved the hide and grabbed him..... easy peasy - don't know what I was making such a fuss over!!!
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  16:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done. :D
Go to Top of Page

tomp33
Egg

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  17:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, this made me laugh because I was like this. I picked up snakey two weeks ago and when I had to get him out for feeding I was just scared lol. I've held loads of snakes before this as well!! But once you do it once it gets easier and you realise they will not bite.
Congrats :)

1 Corn Snake- Snape
:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000