New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  17:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so i'm relatively new to this snake keeping business and have been looking into getting my two slithering mates insured. I have a couple of questions

1) Is it worth getting insurance (i'm almost certain the answer will be yes to this)

2) I have a quote for just under £14 a year for the 2 of them that includes £1000 vet fees, loss by death, theft or adverse weather with excesses of £35 for loss and weather etc or 10% for vets fees, by exoticdirect

does this sound ok, if not can anyone guide me to somewhere that is please

ok so a 3rd question, has anyone had to claim on insurance for their snakeys.

Thankyou in advance for answers

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  17:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oooh where did you get the quote from?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  17:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was looking on money saving expert . com, they gave a link to exotic direct, and did an online quote
https://www.exoticdirect.co.uk

LillyCrystalHarry

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  17:52:44  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
never seen it that cheap before,i would normaly say dont bother as any conditions due to inadiqute conditions or breeding they wont pay out and most things will be put down to the setup but at that price you have nothing to lose

Go to Top of Page

vllb
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  17:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I looked on Exoticdirect is was about £12 a month for my two babies

Victoria. Mum to 3 wonderful kids and :-
1.0.0 Snow Corn. Eira
0.1.0 Caramel Corn, Molly
2.0.1 Amel Corn. Harley and Dillon and Olly
0.2.0 Anery Corn. Marley and Daisy
0.3.0 Carolina Corn, Nesta and Doris and Rosie
1.0.0 BCI Pheonix
3.1.0 cats, Harry, Kara, Henry and Rory.
0.0.1 Asian Flying tree frog,
1.0.0 Tomato Frog, Tommy
0.0.2 Giant African Land Snails, Amira and Amiri
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  18:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks peeps, they've given 3 quotes, i've just put down the most expensive one here, the 2nd one was just under £13 and covered vets only upto £1000 and the cheapest was under £4 and this was for loss by death, theft, fire or weather perils as they put it.

LillyCrystalHarry

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  18:37:46  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think they're the only company offering this kind of insurance so getting a comparable quote might be difficult, even PetPlan's exotics policy is through ExoticsDirect

as a PetPlan appointed inurance advisor of course i should tell you it's wise to insure your pets

in reality i've been keeping reptiles for nearly a decade and i'd hate to think how much i would have paid out to insure my snakes during that time, and i've only had 1 snake that i bought with an RI and it cost me about £100............

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  21:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the 3 options are per month not a year. Just did a quote for my two as well.

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  21:30:25  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am now wondering if I should have my hatchling insured??

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  21:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to say are you sure that's not monthly!

I don't have insurance for mine. I have money put away for any vet costs and will make sure I have extra put away once I start breeding them.

Insurance is great, if the company decides to pay out. I always find they manage to wriggle out of it!!
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  21:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
woopsie, my mistake - i had read it as monthly and for some stupid reason - only known to my subconcious i typed yearly, must be because i'm poorly

LillyCrystalHarry

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  21:56:22  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am very bitter about insurance of all kinds after they weasled out of a couple of legitimate claims I made. I only take insurance now if it's a legal requirement in the case of my car or a condition of sale as in the case of my mortgage. And I resent those too!

I think people would be much better off putting money under the pillow each month in case of emergencies.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  08:44:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for our collection i think it would cost about £30/month

so an annual premium of £360
x 10 years of paying the premium = £3600

versus the £100 vets bill i've had in that time..........

BUT on the other hand you could be paying a £12/month premium for 6 months, get an eggbound snake that's never been with a male and a £750 vets bill (though you'd have to check out the small print to see what is actually covered)

there's a well-known and heavily-advertised insurance company based quite near us that IMO should be forced to shut down they're that bad for not paying out

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  10:00:42  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just got a quote on there for the 2 corns, 2 royals and the boa and it is saying £40 for 10 months :o £3.99 a month interest free DD, im tempted to get it :o

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000