New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  15:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi im thing about getting a common boa and i was wondering if they are the right snake to have.what type of temperment do they have.what size should i start of with and what sex male or female i dont really want to be worry about the female laying her eggs and do the grow faster than a corn snake. if there is anythingi have forgoten please say.thanks.

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  15:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a look at this site is very good for info http://www.jnb-boas.co.uk/index.htm and have a look at the caresheet.

I really wouldnt be concerned in any way about a boa laying eggs.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  15:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to do aload of research judging by your post!!
Go to Top of Page

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  16:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ye i no most sites dont tell you much so i wanted to hear it from some one who has got a boa and can tell me what a need
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  16:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

I really wouldnt be concerned in any way about a boa laying eggs.

You've a lot of research to do before your ready for a Boa.

They get quite large, and are incredibly strong, as adults they require a large vivarium (or RUB though not my cup of tea) and once they exceed 6 feet it is advisable to only handle them when you have someone with you.

This is Kelfezond from TRP's Boa for an idea on their size and handling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiG64K3hYVQ and they can and do get bigger than this. I'm sure Kelfezond won't mind me saying that even with a puppy tame Boa as in this video they are a handful and you've basically just to guide them as making them do what you want is almost impossible.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  16:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few boas now and they are in no way like corn snakes.

They are big, strong, clever and can have plenty of attitude.

You will need to do alot of research as you clearly know very little about them.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  16:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do have attitude thats for sure. They also seem to have a level of intelligence I've not seen in the corn snake or even the royal for that matter, they have very expressive eyes that seem to show they are thinking stuff through. They are beautiful snakes and I'm glad I have one but I did a lot of research to find the right one(its not a common, i wouldn't have been able to handle a common, I live alone, I have a Hogg Island Boa, they get big but rarely exceed 6 feet).

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Edited by - lotabob on 22/05/2011 16:14:33
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  16:14:07  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
research, research, research. I know very little about them myself, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want a snake that size without knowing as much as you possibly can about what you were taking on. But I wouldn't worry about the egg laying though...

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  16:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i will leave the boa for now then lol i might just get another corn snake but i cant find much corns with vivarium wierd any way thanks for the replys and have a good day
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  16:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
but i cant find much corns with vivarium wierd

What? You mean, you cant find a cornsnake that comes with a vivarium?
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  17:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you have a viv already esp if you are gonna sell your existing corn. Why you sellin it anyway? If you are just gonna stick to corns whats wrong with the one you have? xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  17:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

you have a viv already esp if you are gonna sell your existing corn. Why you sellin it anyway? If you are just gonna stick to corns whats wrong with the one you have? xx

ye i no im keeping my corn and getting another corn
Go to Top of Page

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  17:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

quote:

yes i cant find a corn with a vivarium
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  17:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can buy them individually! In fact its actually better to get the vivarium, have it set up and running well and then get a snake to put in it.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  17:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cammy

quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

quote:

yes i cant find a corn with a vivarium

It's funny, all my corns but one came without vivariums too!!

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  17:58:18  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
love the vid of kelf think we can see which of them 2 was in charge there

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  17:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
o ok i will get the vivarium set up first thanks
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  22:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im still doing alot of research on boa's have gathered alot of info over the past month , arent getting one until afer septemer and im still constantly finding out about localities , and what both myself and other half will be comfy with . trying to find someone who owns a few adults local so i can handle them etc . As all the other half said , do plenty of research first before getting one

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  00:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cammy

hi im thing about getting a common boa and i was wondering if they are the right snake to have.what type of temperment do they have.what size should i start of with and what sex male or female i dont really want to be worry about the female laying her eggs and do the grow faster than a corn snake. if there is anythingi have forgoten please say.thanks.

Out of interest though, what do you mean by 'are they the right snake to have'??

Having started keeping and breeding snakes as a kid, younger than you, i am very much of the persuasion that young kids should not keep potentially large bodied snakes, including boas, burms, retics etc.
They are far far stronger than you are, and will hit 6ft + before you will.

Go to Top of Page

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  10:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Out of interest though, what do you mean by 'are they the right snake to have'??

i mean are they a kind or a calm snake to handle and keep but im gonna leave it now because you lot said they are far too strong
Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  07:47:59  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my oh wants a boa so all she is doing is research, ie breeding cycle, eating habits, temps, growth, humidity, how to handle amongst other things and most importantly what to do if things start to go wrong whilst handling.

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000