Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  13:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had 6month old Keo for exactly one week. Handled him last night and put him back in his viv locked the door. Came down this morning and a neighbour wanted to see him so just moved his hide so she could see him and he wasn't there. To cut a long story short he has escaped!!!!! There are no holes in his viv and the door was locked, the only thing I can think of is he has squashed his body and got between the 2 sliding glass doors. (which the reptile shop said he was too big to do!)
We have searched the living room and can't find him anywhere and now I am a tad stressed and worried about Keo

jimspook
Egg

77 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  13:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you looked under all the substrate? Hopefully he hasn't gone anywhere! The how to find a lost corn sticky thread is probably your best bet if Keo has done a Houdini
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12170

0.1.0 Normal CB09 - Artemis

Edited by - jimspook on 21/05/2011 13:44:47
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  13:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear he's gone missing but yes, small corns can indeed get through the gap between the glass so that's probably how he did it.

Fingers crossed you find him.
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  13:50:59  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry he's missing hope you find him soon

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  13:52:17  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh no an escapee sorry to hear that, I do hope you find him safe and well soon

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  14:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement, I have taken all the substrate out just to make sure and I will try and following the ideas on the escapee thread. I really hope the little guy turns up and that I see him before the dog does!!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  14:47:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i've had a gravid adult corn escape through a gap less than 7mm (and i saw her doing it the 2nd time round!!)
i really don't rate this petshop you use but really do hope you find her, quite often they are found curled up somewhere obscure within their enclosure so it's worth double checking

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  16:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lost Spot the first day I got him, turned the viv upside down and then noticed a tiny bit of black and white inside a piece of driftwood. He'd got into a tiny crack (approx 2mm) and made himself comfortable. They can hide in the smallest of spaces so just be 100% sure he is out or you may end up letting him escape when he hadn't escaped in the first place.

I hope you find him quickly, just think, small dark and warm spaces.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  16:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry you little one has escaped but fingers cross he's not far and you find him soon.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  16:42:24  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is one of the problems with having a young snake in a viv. I have had 2 escapees, both through my error, and both have turned up within a few days and not far from their viv. The finding a lost corn sticky is really good. I hope he turns up really soon for you. Chances are he has found a small hidey hole for himself. Watch your dog as he will probably sense him before you can see him. If I had paid attention to one of my dogs I would have found my first escapee alot earlier than I did.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

vivtastic
50% Warning

76 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  17:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

This is one of the problems with having a young snake in a viv. I have had 2 escapees, both through my error, and both have turned up within a few days and not far from their viv. The finding a lost corn sticky is really good. I hope he turns up really soon for you. Chances are he has found a small hidey hole for himself. Watch your dog as he will probably sense him before you can see him. If I had paid attention to one of my dogs I would have found my first escapee alot earlier than I did.

It really does depend on the viv i am sure some are of very poor design. I do take your point and it is vital with any viv that you seal any access holes that are put there to feed cables through. i think a good moto is if its more than a mm in diameter seal it. If you do this a viv is as safe as a faun in my opinion.

Regards

Vivtastic
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  17:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vivtastic

quote:

It really does depend on the viv i am sure some are of very poor design. I do take your point and it is vital with any viv that you seal any access holes that are put there to feed cables through. i think a good moto is if its more than a mm in diameter seal it. If you do this a viv is as safe as a faun in my opinion.

Regards

Vivtastic

True but you can't seal the gap inbetwen the doors that way.

I think some people use carboad tubes, or foam pipe covers to block the gap.
Go to Top of Page

vivtastic
50% Warning

76 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  17:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise2778

quote:

quote:

Regards

Vivtastic

You just use a piece of cardboard of appropriate thickness and slide it intio the gap, this works a treat.

Regards

Vivtastic
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  17:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Louise2778

quote:

quote:

Regards

Vivtastic

You just use a piece of cardboard of appropriate thickness and slide it intio the gap, this works a treat.

Regards

Vivtastic

Yes as long as it's the full height of the viv and has left no gaps. Of course it can't be permanant as you need to open the doors so the way I see it, everytime you need to remove the card to get inside the viv, you have a potential escape gap if you do not replace the cardboard properly. It's one extra thing to worry about!

Edited by - Invalid User on 21/05/2011 17:24:26
Go to Top of Page

vivtastic
50% Warning

76 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  17:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Louise i can see how having to replace a piece of cardboard could induce worry.

Relax a little

Vivtastic
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  17:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes Louise i can see how having to replace a piece of cardboard could induce worry.

Relax a little

Vivtastic

Hmm funny. Not so funny I would imagine when the snake pushes the carboard out and escapes through the gap.

I had a corn try to escape through the fins of a faunarium so I know how persistant they can be when they find a weak spot.

You do what's good for you, I will stick to my way thanks. All mine are safe and secure so I don't have to worry about them going missing.

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  19:25:22  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A 6 month old in a viv, little young for a viv I think but hey ho.

I am always checking mine is safe and secure in her faunarium, esp more so since discovering just how persistant they are when they find a weak spot. I agree with Louise, not so funny when the snake pushes the piece of cardboard and still escapes. I do hope you find him.

Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

vivtastic
50% Warning

76 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  19:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There appears to be an echo on this thread lol. I should have added the cardboard needs to be a snug fit and dont feed your corn anabolic steroids.

Regards

Vivtastic
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  19:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No need to feed them steroids, your right, they are strong enough as it is, have a look:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15073&SearchTerms=great+escape
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  20:01:07  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snakes on steroids, I can just imagine it lol. When I handle my little hatchling I amazed at how strong she is at just 4 months old.

Go to Top of Page

vivtastic
50% Warning

76 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  20:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

Snakes on steroids, I can just imagine it lol. When I handle my little hatchling I amazed at how strong she is at just 4 months old.

You are not wrong there, weight for weight they must be many times stronger tham most animals.

Kindest regards

Vivtastic
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000