Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Worried about the scales on me new corn snake.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vicmac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  12:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone. I got an adult corn snake from my reptile shop just yesterday. Held her in the shop and was really pleased with the way she looked and moved etc. She is an absolutely gorgeous snake but I am just a bit concerned about her scales. When I got her home and had a closer look she has some sore patches in various places down her body. Some of them are red from bleeding and some are just slightly raised especially at the top beneath her head. She is an adult snake, three years of age and about 4 foot long. I have seen her drink water and she has done two poos one yesterday and one this morning. She is not due a feed until next week so can't really say much about that but the shop said she eats fine. The underside of her is perfect, eyes bright and no discharge anywhere.

The shop is pretty dark and I think that is prob why I never noticed it in there. Plus after holding a few diffent ones I feel in love with this one straight away so prob would have missed it anyway.

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  13:36:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
pics would help but initially if it's open sores i'd put it on paper substrate and keep the enclosure very clean to prevent infection, treat the sores with Tamodine/Vetadine, and most importantly ISOLATE/QUARANTINE the new snake and make sure you deal with it last.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

vicmac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  13:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thank you for the reply. Sorry about lack of pics our camera got stolen on the tube last week and we are waiting on the insurance. :-(. She is my only snake but I do do have a leopard Gecko so will make sure I deal with my snake after my leo. The two poos she has done have been out of the Viv so think she is a pretty clean snake anyway :-). Will swap substrate now but can it wait until tomorrow for the Tamodine/Vetadine? Just because I am at home with my two young kids don't drive and the reptile shop is a train ride away, I will go if I have to but would just rather wait for my husband to to take me in the car tomorrow? Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  14:52:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
tbh it's likely she's had them a while so another day probably won't hurt, you could bath it with some salt water in the mean time if you wanted
it would probably be wise to phone the shop (or round several shops if need be!) to make sure they stock it or something similar as a surprising number of shops don't have anything first-aidy!!
that reminds me, i've been meaning to put together some mini First Aid kits to sell on here.....!

Go to Top of Page

vicmac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  15:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. Count me in when you get the mini first aid kits ready for sale. Prob should have got one ready when I got my snake but did not expect to need one so soon! :-(. She is just having a sleep so will give her a salt water bath when she wakes up.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  15:22:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
tbh i've very VERY rarely had to use anything first aidy-ish, other than oral or injectable antibiotics but you have to get them from a vet anyway

and when you buy stuff like Tamodine or QuickStop or Nutrobal, even though they're in small tubs/bottles, they're in quantities you hope to never have to use!

Go to Top of Page

vicmac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  13:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I phoned the shop yesterday and they said she was due for a shed and reccomended I give her a tepid bath. I waited until about 7 o clock last night and still no sign she was waking up so decided I was going to check on her and try and wake her up. I noticed some shed skin pooking out of one of the holes of her hide so thought I would leave her to it. She is still in there this morning so I had a quick check when I changed water etc and she is fine so I am just going to leave her to it until she decides she wants to come out again. I am pretty sure that must have been the cause for most of the scales looking a bit odd but will check that sore red one when she comes out. I looked at the sticky about shedding on here but I have to say it looked different but then I suppose that is because she is a snow. Just hope she is ok I feel a little nervous not sure why, it is natural after all. Thanks again for all of your help I really appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  17:42:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if she's due a shed her eyesight won't be great, making her more secretive and shy, and possibly unpredictable when handled and definitely more easily stressed.
if there is a wound then she'll shed more frequently as she heals, providing it's dry and not an open wound or swollen or oozing then i'd just leave her to it.
if, when she's shed, there IS an open wound then treat as i posted above, and if it swells or oozes gunk then antibiotics might be necessary from your local exotics vet.

hope it resolves with her shedding though and keep us posted!

Go to Top of Page

vicmac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  18:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh wow that was amazing! I got to see the whole thing! I have checked the head part of the old skin and the eye bits are definately there so it went well I think. The sore bits are still there although, not open. I got my sis to take some pic on her phone but they are not the best quality sorry. As soon as we get our new camera I will take some better ones! I did see a mite on her though when she was shedding so just about to go and read up on the mite threads on here!
Go to Top of Page

vicmac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  19:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is her neck area that shows some dark scales.

This is the one redish scale at the bottom end of her.
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  19:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't really tell from the pics :(

Glad the shed went well, shame about the mites though. Horrid little 'bleeps'. I am dealing with them right now using the fairy liquid bath method.
Go to Top of Page

vicmac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  19:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think she is a bit skinny too :-(. I am going to get DH to help me make a rub, (is that right really useful box?) tomorrow for her to move in to. We have some cat spot on frontline would it be ok to dilute that with 50% water and rub her down with that or should we get the spray like it says in the mite thread? Also, is it safe to use frontline on her whilst she has these sores? Sorry for asking so many questions all the time I just want to get it right for her, I do really appreciate all of your help. :-)
Go to Top of Page

vicmac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  19:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for looking Louise2778 I will put some clearer ones up as soon as we get a new camera. Hope your mite problem clears up soon.
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  20:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I really can't help with the frontline question but others will have answers for you. It's not something I have evey used, I just stuck to the bathing.

So far so good for my boas, have not seen any mites for a few days now.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  20:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not the clearest of pictures I've seen but is the scale missing?

She doesn't look skinny to me, little yes, skinny no, but cornsnakes are a thin bodied snake and when they are little they do look very slender.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

vicmac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  20:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lotabob. There is definately a scale there at that sore bit. She is 3 years old and nearly four foot but I looked at the pics from the "is your snake a fatty" and she is more like the first shape on the guide in that her spine pertrudes slightly.
Go to Top of Page

vicmac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  20:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is a pic of the whole of her. Sorry again for poor quality.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000