New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MightyMouse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  14:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive searched the back logs an cant find anything about this so here i am asking!

I bought an exo analogue thermometer (the round one)... its rubbish.
I bought a none branded digital one with a probe off ebay ... its rubbish and inconsistant.

Im about to buy my 3rd one in 2 months so big question is... which one will be the best bet?

Been looking at the exo digital probe http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-17775-exo-terra-digital-vivarium-thermometer-for-reptiles.aspx Or would an infared one be better an worth tha little bit more money? an if so which one?

Which ones do you all use?

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  16:38:32  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use 3 of those ET ones and another unbranded one. Much prefer the ET coz you can check on hi/lo temps too.

And a lot cheaper from here...

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/exo-terra-digital-thermometer.html

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Edited by - ptmbradley on 17/05/2011 16:40:20
Go to Top of Page

snowstripe420
Egg

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  17:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
exo terra probes ftw

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  17:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 21 digital thermometers! I have one exo terra, it's ok, I have a few cheap brand white colour ones, dunno what they are but they are pretty good and the rest are all the cheap aquarium ones and cost me less than £3 each including postage as I buy in bulk off ebay. They are great.
Go to Top of Page

DJRenegade
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  20:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im ordering 2 ET ones - i hope they are good ET are a decent make arent they?

1.0.0 Corn
0.1.0 Boa
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  21:58:56  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I bought mine from pets at home, think it is an exo terra and it works pretty good.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  22:06:11  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i use unbranded from forttex... http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  22:06:12  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got mine off ebay. I think they are the same ones Louise uses. The digital aquarium thermometers. Cheap, good service from the seller everytime and work a treat. Having said that I have just ordered an infra red thermometer just so I can keep a check on things if there are any unusual fluctuations

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  22:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

i use unbranded from forttex... http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4

That's the ones I use! Couldn't remember thename of the company.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  08:34:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

Same here :D

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Serj
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  09:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 4 Exo Terra and tested them all in the same heating conditions(cold/hot)and found there is only 0.1 of a difference in one of them. I would recommend them to.
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:43:02  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have the cheap aquariums ones to off ebay, have 5 of them and they work brilliantly only a few quid each to :)

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:44:06  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just realised mine are fortex to haha

Go to Top of Page

MightyMouse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  14:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fortex one is the one i got off ebay (it very much looks like it) but it up an down all over the place. Im worried now incase its the stat or mat being funny (hope not since they were both bought new 2 months ago). Got an Exo one on the way should be here in the morning (local shop was sold out) Thanks for your replys :D

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  15:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MightyMouse

The fortex one is the one i got off ebay (it very much looks like it) but it up an down all over the place. Im worried now incase its the stat or mat being funny (hope not since they were both bought new 2 months ago). Got an Exo one on the way should be here in the morning (local shop was sold out) Thanks for your replys :D

Like I say, I have about 18 of the fortex ones and not had one single problem, my exo terra hygrometer however......
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  16:13:21  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MightyMouse

I have a microclimate stat that has given me loads of grief with erratic readings ever since I bought it... Am changing it for a habistat this weekend.

But unlike Lou, my ET hygrometer has been working just fine... lol

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

MightyMouse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  10:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My new Exo probe came this morning an ive put it in alongside the old one just to compare. The old one is reading 26.2 the Exo is reading 29.1 which is a closer reading to the crappy clock dial analog one. So if assuming the Exo and round dial ones are correct in the middle of the day when the old probe hits 30c its really about 33c. Time to turn down the stat i think....

I know all things are prone to slight differences an can be hit an miss i guess i just got a not so spot on one and i bear no ill will against my ebay one. I will use it for the cool end as its not so important down there :D

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  10:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet if you had 2 exo terra ones you would still get a different reading from each! There is a thread somewhere (I think) where someone tested lots of different digital thermometers and they all read differently.

Funny you should say the Exo one is reading higher, in one rack I have 12 thermometers, 11 are the cheap forttex ones and the one exo terra I have reads a few degrees higher than all the others. Seeing as it's the odd one out I don't really pay much attention to it!
Go to Top of Page

MightyMouse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  17:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its enough to drive someone to obsessive behavour lol i think lowering the temp was best thing really cuz before he would be on/off/on/off the mat all the time swapping between the 2 hides. since lowering it 2 degrees hes been on it all day an not shifted.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000