Wood for custom viv
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PureLoneWolf
Snake Mite

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  17:32:31  Show Profile  Visit PureLoneWolf's Homepage  Click to see PureLoneWolf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all

The father in-law has offered to custom make a viv for Hongy that will fit exactly where we want in our apartment. This brought up the question of wood treatment.

We will be using some very strong untreated wood that he has leftover from a kitchen build. To make sure we can keep it hygienic for Hongy, we need to coat it with something.

Would a varnish be ok? Or what would you suggest?
Thanks

0.0.1 Corn (Hongy)

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  20:35:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
water-based varnishes are safer but when Hongy goes to the loo on it.....yuck!!

and other varnishes like yatch varnish.......i'm not sure, you'd certainly have to wait a while for the fumes to dissipate.....

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

PureLoneWolf
Snake Mite

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  08:36:44  Show Profile  Visit PureLoneWolf's Homepage  Click to see PureLoneWolf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya and thanks

What do you mean by yuck?

As in, the varnish reacts against it...or just that it slides about everywhere?

Cheers

0.0.1 Corn (Hongy)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  08:38:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the varnish becomes liquid again and makes a real mess lol

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  13:26:01  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I read somewhere that someone (Eeji?) has been using water based varnish in their vivs for years without problems? Was considering it as an option for my BRB viv when the time comes, but if it's possibly going to cause a hassle then maybe I'll stick to a fablon type covering.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  21:39:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ooohhhh!

EEJIIIIII!!!??? we need you here!!

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  04:29:33  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lol

well I had a look for the post and it was indeed Eeji. It was on that forum that is referred to here as the dark side I believe. It was in a thread about waterproofing a viv for a chameleon but I presume it holds for snakes too. This is what he said...

"B&Q own brand water based floor varnish (use the satin finish one) is the perfect stuff. It dries fairly quickly and has low fumes, so it won't need airing as long as traditional varnish. I've used it on all my home built wooden vivs and never had any problems".

Pete

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  04:43:33  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... while looking for that post I happened across something else that's varnish-like, animal safe and waterproof. G4 pond sealant. Primarily used for sealing concrete ponds but is apparently suitable for any porous surface. 3 coats and you're good to go.

Some blurb about their product...

G4 For Wood Sealing
G4 is very effective for sealing (varnishing) wood. G4 can be applied in conditions unacceptable to other varnishes, at low temperatures and high humidity. However, G4 is affected by UV light which will yellow it although in general terms will perform better than most varnishes.

And you can get a 'grass green' colour which would make my BRB's rainforest-like viv look better.

Right, 5am and light outside now so I really should get to bed!!! lol

Edited by - ptmbradley on 19/05/2011 05:01:24
Go to Top of Page

PureLoneWolf
Snake Mite

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  09:17:45  Show Profile  Visit PureLoneWolf's Homepage  Click to see PureLoneWolf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That G4 sounds perfect...now I just need to find out if it is available in Frankfurt, and my German is terrible.

0.0.1 Corn (Hongy)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000