New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snowstripe420
Egg

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  17:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now I am renting a small place while I am at school ( for the next 2 months). The landlord lives in the house, and I live in what used to be a Double wide garage, seperate from the house. There was no rental agreement signed. The add he had posted, to witch I had replied too, said nothing about having pets (or smoking for that matter). After being here for 5 months, I bought my first corn. Of course i did not tell him about my new guest, seeing as how he never comes in here and it might pose a problem due to the fact he is 55 years old and never owned a pet. I have My rainbow boa enclosure almost set up and wanted to get him in 2 weeks or so. Is he able to evict me even though there was no previous Verbal, or written contract stating i cannot have pets? I have been talking to landlords that allow snakes and there are plenty. But NOTHING can compare to the 425$ rent (including utility's) I am paying now. The sad thing is, he is a real estate agent, and probably knows all the loopholes to get me booted legally lol. Should I just pretend like ive had the snakes the whole timenif he finds out? Or should i Play the "my mom is moving, and needs me to watch them for a few weeks" card? have any of you been renting, and had problems with landlords or yada yada?

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  19:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is more able to evict you because there is no tennancy agreement. Without an agreement you have very few rights.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  19:28:13  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yup, no contract means he can boot you out at any time for any reason. You may get lucky and he'll never notice or maybe he won't mind.

If he gets all ****y you can always have a word with the tax man, I bet they don't know about his extra income from you ;)

*edit: damn! the word censor got me!

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory

Edited by - eeji on 16/05/2011 19:29:12
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  19:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an estate agent in a past life, well it seems that long ago. The term no pets usually means dogs, cats, house rabbits.. and even now a landlord has to prove there is a viable reason as to why the pet cannot be in the house... i.e. he is planning on moving back there and has a cat allergy. I quite often see people selling snakes as they are not allowed pets in their rental properties.. a snake, fish and any 'small' caged animal generally do not count..

Firstly I would ask for a short term tenancy agreement, this can be drawn up between the two of you without the need of solicitors or estate agents to secure the roof over your head, and when you get to the part about pets, just tell him that you would like to get a reptile, that would not cause any damage to his property. It's like the old saying honesty is the best policy..

0.0.1 Amel Corn CB10 Luna
1.0.0 Orchid Corn CB08 Mizuki
0.1.0 Hypo Corn CB10 Hala
0.1.0 Normal het lav CB09 Neona
1.2.0 Normal Royals, Jericho, Eclipse and Monday

and various other critters including, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a hamster, a gerbil, 3 fish, 1 husband and 3 daughters :-)
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  20:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's short term I honestly wouldn't bother trying to get a tenancy agreement now, of reveal your snakes - 2 months is also not a very long time to make sure a reptile is well hidden, I just throw a light cloth/sheet over mine whenever I'm leaving the house or am answering the door. Even if someone suspects there being an animal under there, they're stuck because they're not legally aloud to root around your stuff, nor do you have to show them, so they can suspect all they want, if they claim to have seen them, you can come back with rooting around your property etc. I've kept rats, gerbils and snakes in 'no pets' properties and have never had any problems :)

zan x
Go to Top of Page

snowstripe420
Egg

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  20:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks floss. :) Thats what my plan was. Throw a sheet over them. If he ever brought it up, id just say im taking care of them while my mom is on vacation or finishes moving, and i can have them gone in 2 weeks if need be :D

I plan on moving into a bigger pad once the girlfriend gets a job and or my schooling is finnished at the end of july. 1st year electrical apprentice!!! So stoked to be making 80$ an hour :D

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  21:23:57  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you considered mentioning that you've been asked to look after a friends tank for a few weeks and see what he says??
It's a toughie, and to be honest in some ways hiding it makes it seem as if it's bad, whereas being open about it and saying "it's only a harmless snake" can work better as well.

Plus, hasn't his rodent problem gone since you've been there..........

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  22:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wouldn't bring it up tbh, lots of people hate the thought of being in the same house as any animals, never mind super scary, evil, bitey snakes :P

As soon as you mention you may be lookinh after someones snakes, he's going to be on the lookout for snakey friends :) ignorance is bliss sometimes :)

zan x
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  13:52:58  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have been looking to rent somewhere for a wee while, as soon as i say i have some snakies they give me the look and its been a big no no, at first i said i had i think it was 16 at the time (the truth) then i said i only had 5 and still a big no no. ive not had any problems with the cats or rabbit etc its been snakes for me, although someone has said i cant have a cat at their house but can have a kitten....

its not a easy thing but i would be more inclined to maybe say as kehhlyr suggests and say you've been asked to look after a friend snake. if he says yes at least then you dont have to hide it so to speak.

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

snowstripe420
Egg

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  20:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, He confronted me about the "pet' yesterday. He asked if I was housing a pet and i told him i was. He said I have 2 days to remove it. Sad thing is, I had to move to the mainland today for school and didnt have the time i needed to find him a temp home. So, I put his tank in my "armour" and got it all set up. My girlfriend is going to be going in every day to change the water until I get back.

My question now is, can he open up the suite and go through my things while Im away? Is it a very bad idea to hide the snake even after he said to get rid of it. June will be my last month in the house, Which gives me a moth to figure out a temp home for July.Thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  21:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What gave him suspicions that you were housing a pet in the first place???
To be honest if he's somehow 'figured' that out, I'd keep an eye on your underwear drawer as well.

In regards just going into your suite to go through your things, that IS illegal everywhere. Depending on you local law though, he can however do an inspection of the property but usually that has to come after some written notice. A property inspection is totally different to having a rummage through your stuff, he is allowed to check for damage etc, but not allowed to go through your undercrackers drawers.
Again, the entire inspection thing will depend on local law.
To be honest, if he's told you to get rid of it I'd ask him to give you that in writing with the (what is normally) a 28 day time limit to prove that it's sorted.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

snowstripe420
Egg

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  03:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He said I have 2 days. He gave my girlfriend a "letter" stating he was going to do the check in 24hours. Her, not being a tenant, or permanent resident in the home called me up crying saying shes scared yada yada cause she is alone and he is freaking at her. ( he only gave decided to do a damage check after i left for school. assuming he thought my girlfreind is a push over) i dont have the time to deal with it, so i got my mother to call (sad i know). She bought me an extra week. I gave him my 1 month notice yesterday, Just because i love my snake more than paying his mortgage and im tired of the bull.

Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  08:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SS, sorry to hear you've had a bad experience The guy sounds like a bit of a beef jerkey! Not all Landlords are like that. Round where I am, most of the people who say "No pets" say that to prevent people getting kittens or something which could poop all over the place, and possibly ending up causing repairs to be acrried out of carpets etc. They're obviously just trying to cover their backs to make sure they dont have to fork out for new carpets etc.

Our landlord said categorically no pets, but then we explained the snakey situation (5 betweent the two of us housemates!) and that they remain under lock and key, are not allowed out, and can be removed without any evidence of them having been there, and he realised that they were incredibly low impact. It may have been the shock of him knowing about it which drove over the edge. That or he may just be a real cactus spike

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  11:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh heck,sorry to hear its turned out this way for you. Is there no one that could look after your snake while you get things sorted?
I too rent and my paperwork from the agency states no pets,even including fish! Luckily the actual house is owned by my dad and aunt and they have given me the ok for each animal.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

snowstripe420
Egg

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  20:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its my worst nightmare come true. No one is willing to take him for me for 2 months. So i had to call the pet shop. They will watch him for me. Its very sad tho, because there snakes dont recieve the same level of care as i give Otis. But, He is still mine and will be Home August 1st!! Thanks for all info and advice :D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000