Shedding question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  14:39:57  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dakota last shed around 4/6 of last month, she had a clean shed while she was in transit from the breeder, it was all in one piece comlete with eye caps and tip of tail. She was on 1 pinkie when I got her last month and now she's up to 2 pinkies per feed. When do you think she'll shed? I had her out on Friday and I never noticed her colour going dull.
I know snakes all grow differently.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  14:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you noticed her going dull it is likely she may be coming up to shed, may take a week to 10 days roughly

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  14:56:56  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No G, in the month I have had her I've NOT noticed her going dull yet

Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 15/05/2011 14:57:52
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  14:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
G just read it wrong. Thats all. All snakes shed when they shed. There is not time scale. Some shed every few weeks, others take longer, others shed more than every few weeks. The only way you are gonna know when shes shedding is when you notice her dulling over.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  14:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ihere is no set timescale for snakes shedding its as they grow but if she's eating well i wouldn't worry about her not shedding yet she will when she need to.

I never noticed the word never, I do apologise.

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  15:05:02  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm just wondering reallybut she is eating well, pooping and drinking, so she'll shed when she's good and ready and I wont worry.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  17:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They only shed once they have outgrown the skin they are in or if they damage it. As its a small snake it will shed more often than an adult but it could be every 4 weeks, it could be every 8 weeks or more, I recorded Spot's shedding cycle and there was no pattern to it at all, the only thing I did see was he damaged his nose trying to escape and a week later he went blue. I wouldn't worry yourself about when they are going to shed its just one part of their care you have no control over. Things to look out for is hiding, Spot hides a few days before the next stage, milky belly, this milkyness spreads from the belly all over them most noticably their eyes go cloudy, then after a few days the milkyness has all soaked into the shed and they look slightly dull but their eyes appear clear. Now the skin is ready to come off but they can take their time over this bit too, Spot usually sheds about 3-4 days after clearing up but they will do this when they are ready. Good luck spotting the signs, after a few sheds you'll spot it a mile off.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  20:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calypso is currently in blue again. Almost to the month since her last and the one before that was a month to the day as well. It's every time her food seems to be increased she sheds.

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  22:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colin has gone dull and his eyes clouded over and cleared so hopefully in a few days he will shed. Will be my first with him, he shed the night before I got him and it's been 4 weeks tomorrow he arrived. Looking forward to seeing him shed.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  08:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My smaller corns shed around every 3-4 weeks right now as they are really growing fast since moving up a feed size.

The older ones (2-3 years) shed around every 6 weeks but again some shed more often if they are having a growth spurt.

Little Dakota will shed when she's ready so don't worry.
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  07:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harry who hatched in august sheds approximately every 4 weeks to the day, he's taking 2 fuzzies and growing well, usually after the blues cleared he sheds 2 days later, but he's never let us see, he always seems to manage whilst we are in bed or at work, would love to watch him wriggle out of that skin. Lilly on the other hand hasn't shed yet with us, she last shed in January (or last recorded shed) and we only bought her at the weekend so i'm hoping she'll shed quite quickly once we start feeding her and she starts to grow - 2 snakes 2 x the opportunity to see a shed happening

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

jimspook
Egg

77 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  11:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2yr old shedding cycle hasn't slowed down at all, getting a shed between 4-6 weeks I have being feeding her 2 fuzzies every 7 days for about a year so thinking its time to step up.

0.1.0 Normal CB09 - Artemis

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  15:19:35  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

Harry who hatched in august sheds approximately every 4 weeks to the day, he's taking 2 fuzzies and growing well, usually after the blues cleared he sheds 2 days later, but he's never let us see, he always seems to manage whilst we are in bed or at work, would love to watch him wriggle out of that skin. Lilly on the other hand hasn't shed yet with us, she last shed in January (or last recorded shed) and we only bought her at the weekend so i'm hoping she'll shed quite quickly once we start feeding her and she starts to grow - 2 snakes 2 x the opportunity to see a shed happening

Snakes are very sneaky devils. They always wait until you are not looking to climb out of their old clothes. I have 11 snakes and I have only see one of them shed once.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000