Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  11:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

About to move my first snake ip to a viv this weekend. Have purchased the LX 24 stackable range and was wondering if anyone has any opinion on the brand? Good? Bad? Easy to use or reliable etc?

Also, I'll be using aspen as a substrate and was wondering whats the best method for securing the heat mat to the floor of the viv?

Cheers
Ash

Location - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  11:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got the LX 36 vivstacks and really like them, easy to put together and nice to look at,
I use aspen but didn't attach the mat to the floor, just attached the stat probe to the mat with some sealant and left the mat loose - just put a hide over it to keep it in the right place, you can use sealant but it would need to be left for at least 24-36hrs to make sure the fumes dissipate completely

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:15:03  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have the 4ft stacks, they are nice to look at but very pricey. They also take a while in monthly cleans to clean with aspen and decor. I have a hide over my heatmat too to keep it in place.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They really caught my eye when I saw them, so I'm glad they're easy to assemble! :)
Agree with the pricey comment, but I'm lucky in that I have a little extra cash to throw around this month and what better way to use it than to treat my boys!

I'll probably go with hide idea. Don't want to start messing around with sealant to be fair.

Cheers guys

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:40:09  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well i hope your viv move goes well for you and snakie lol, no space for vivs in my home so will be using rubs

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have literally forged a space for vivs in my spare bedroom! My other half is blissfully unaware that I'm slowly turning the 'guest bedroom' into a animal sanctuary!

Just have to explain tonight that, due to the move, I now have a spare faun.....which would look silly if I left it unoccupied ;)

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:58:39  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well yes it would look silly empty, better with a nice young snakie in it lol

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  13:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have recently bought an LX24 for a yearling corn and it is faultless. To be honest (I know it is a big no no) but i used gafer tape to secure the mat and the stat probe as i was fed up with it moving about, then covered with a layer of aspen and not had any problems, youch wood.. I use a dust pan to scoop out most of the aspen when cleaning then suck the rest up with the hoover.. spray and refill takes no time at all... when it is time to upgrade her to her 3ft viv, iwillbe going for the same range (stackable) or maybe the VX... make sure you seal them though when building otherwise it make the warranty invalid...

0.0.1 Amel Corn CB10 Luna
1.0.0 Orchid Corn CB08 Mizuki
0.1.0 Hypo Corn CB10 Hala
0.1.0 Normal het lav CB09 Neona
1.2.0 Normal Royals, Jericho, Eclipse and Monday

and various other critters including, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a hamster, a gerbil, 3 fish, 1 husband and 3 daughters :-)
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  13:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phew glad to hear that! Rather excited about getting them now!
I think I'll use a hide at first and then look into other options depending on how well it works out.

With regards to sealing - does the sealant come with or is this something I need to get myself?

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  13:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lucy1012

To be honest (I know it is a big no no) but i used gafer tape to secure the mat and the stat probe as i was fed up with it moving about, then covered with a layer of aspen and not had any problems, youch wood..

I really would suggest you remove the tape and use another method.
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  13:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, i need to use another method but i don't want to permanantly attach it to the floor of the viv, at the moment she doesn't go anywhere near where the tape is but as she gets bigger and spreads out I am sure she will. Maybe blue tac willdo the trick...

and various other critters including, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a hamster, a gerbil, 3 fish, 1 husband and 3 daughters :-)
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  13:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as for the sealant, you need to buy it seperately, i didn't bother doing mine, I can't tell you if this will be detrimental to the viv or not as i have only had it running for a month or so..

I bought mine from Surrey Pet Supplies they sell the sealant i beleive...

Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  14:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I'll have a look out for the sealant this weekend then. I get all my stuff from a local shop called Little Beasties. I'm sure they'll have something for me to use. I'll have to let you all know how I get on!

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  14:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aquarium sealent is what most peope use. Sealing the joins help stop any moisture (from wee, poos and tipped water bowls etc) getting into the pannels and causing damage.

Edited by - Invalid User on 12/05/2011 14:07:54
Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  14:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So its basically like sealing a window joint then? Whack the sealant in the gap and leave to set? Will definitely seek some out!

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  16:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will be purchasing the 4 stack

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  18:15:34  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

well i hope your viv move goes well for you and snakie lol, no space for vivs in my home so will be using rubs

Those vivs are smaller than the typical 50l style rubs though :p though I suppose you cant put a viv on a shelf!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  18:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

Those vivs are smaller than the typical 50l style rubs though :p though I suppose you cant put a viv on a shelf!

You could stand that viv on a couple of those ikea tables tho
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000