New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordy845
Hatchling

United Kingdom
191 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello, im heading down to the pet shop later, (petsathome) is there anything i should stay away from in perticular while looking for things for my snakey?

Jordy :3

0.1.0 Amel Corn - Chihiro R.I.P
1.0.0 Snow Corn - Sachi
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Stella

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:09:13  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pets at home in general would be a good idea.

Don't get a heat rock.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Edited by - ptmbradley on 11/05/2011 11:09:32
Go to Top of Page

jordy845
Hatchling

United Kingdom
191 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha, its the only close one to me, however im on the adventure for finding this retpile/exotic shop i apparently have near me somewhere, will be a mission to find.

ok, no heat rock :)

1.0.0 Snow Corn - Sachi
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Stella
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:18:45  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you are looking for hides etc then try the Hamster bit. They have the straw hide balls etc and tunnels cheaper than the coconut/rock hides in the reptile section xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:19:32  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would never buy any of pets at home animals but i do buy my pinkies from them and things like fake leafy vines, hides, fake plants, stones etc etc

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

Pets at home in general would be a good idea.

Hahaha, exactly what I was thinking!
Go to Top of Page

jordy845
Hatchling

United Kingdom
191 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had no idea petsathome sold pinkies and such o_0
mamma - thanks ill have a good look :)

1.0.0 Snow Corn - Sachi
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Stella
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:24:25  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

i would never buy any of pets at home animals but i do buy my pinkies from them

Don't want to hijack the topic or anything but just quickly... Ailsa you know my PaH hamsters? They actually have a pamphlet instore stating they are better off in same sex pairs and males will be happy together as long as you get them both at the same time. Yeah, right...

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:33:48  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

i would never buy any of pets at home animals but i do buy my pinkies from them

Don't want to hijack the topic or anything but just quickly... Ailsa you know my PaH hamsters? They actually have a pamphlet instore stating they are better off in same sex pairs and males will be happy together as long as you get them both at the same time. Yeah, right...

The reason they sell them in same sex pais is cos they arent technically allowed to sell one of each... the hamsters they get in are all from the same litter each time.. if they sold one of each sex they would multiply....

if they are from the same litter and have babies the babies can then have genetic disorders, some of which are nasty and brutal and its unfair to allow it to happen. xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:41:28  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They should know better than to sell males of any species in pairs,, common sense should tell them that all males will fight for dominance with each other thus resulting often in the death of the loosing male.

Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

well they miss sold us a male and a female gerbil, our friend who is an aproved gerbil breeder told us about the genetics thing etc. We then had to get another female for in with the female and another male for in with the male. She advised that gerbils are social creatures and that a tank mate would be more beneficial. We never had any problems with our boys in together. They were very close.

She contacted the PAH sotre who sold us the male and female and sopke with the namager etc about it all. The lad who sold us the gerbils isnt there anymore. Dunno if he got fired over it etc. No idea.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:57:39  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

if you are looking for hides etc then try the Hamster bit. They have the straw hide balls etc and tunnels cheaper than the coconut/rock hides in the reptile section xx

Yeh I seconds that. the ham ham toys for babies and even the rat/g pig toys are good and cheap for adults there are quite cheap surprisingly!

I wish they sold snakes and pinkies at the p@h near me ads that would mean they would have to have a special reptile vet in the city ^^

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  11:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some males are ok together if they are from the same litter.

We had 3 male guinea pigs from p@h, all litter mates. They lived happily together all their life.

Some p@h stores are great. Yes they sell animals that come from mass breeding farms but my local store has great staff, very helpful and seem to know what they are talking about (well most of them)

The main reason I chose not to shop there is the prices. I can get almost everything they sell, much cheaper from other places.

Edited by - Invalid User on 11/05/2011 11:58:50
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  12:04:39  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Like you Lou my local pets at home store is really good, their staff are great, very helpful and friendly too and their prices are ok, there aren't really any other pet shops around me and they are only 10 min drive from me. There used to be a lot of small pet shops near me but they have all closed down :(

Edited by - Ailsa on 11/05/2011 12:13:02
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  12:17:33  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in there a lot too just for convenience. With several animal species to buy for it's much easier!! But I seldom get any reptile bits from there, except food. Some of their accessories are more than DOUBLE the price I've seen elsewhere! Not all like that though, and I bought a couple of 'medium' hides the other day for £5.99 each. Yes I've seem them a bit cheaper, but as I was there...

Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  17:52:03  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have brought lots of pets from p@h and can honestly say I've never had problems, I got my Senegal parrot, gerbils (sisters) even Cilla is from there, although our store uses local breeders, the place i would away clear of is Garden centres that sell reps ...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000