New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  11:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very excited. I am off to visit a small reptile rescue this afternoon to see if their male amel is the one I would like as second snake
I am trying to sit and do my marking,but can't concentrate properly. I am going to pop into a reptile shop out that way as well called Coast to Coast in Darlington if anyone knows it. Went years ago with my mam when I was younger just to look, so a snakey afternoon for me.

Just a side note, I did mention to a friend I was considering a second snake and as usual with these things she mentioned, her partner has a friend who is having to re-home his 3 year old royal python (his girlfriend who is moving in is scared, so the snake has to go )
Apparently it is kept in a 3 foot high viv by 18 inch floor space and eats a baby rat once a month, the snake is 4 foot long currently. Now I know from reading on here they are fussy eaters and I can go visit the python if this doesn't work out today but when I mentioned on the phone the viv doesn't sound right (have been reading obsessively about snakes last few months), he said that's what he was was advised to get.

In a long winded way I am just asking, what would you think to getting a royal python as a second snake? I don't want anything that will grow above 6 foot, so this should be ok on averages. I did ask what type of python and he said royal. I kind of meant morph :)

Anyway will let you know how it goes. V. excited.

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  11:53:28  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Which reptile rescue? Very lucky you though lol! You think you will come out with more though once you see all those snakes that need rescuing eyes? XD

Why not get both the snakes and stack the vivs?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a small one called Twilight reptile sanctuary in Durham. I found it online and chatted to them for a bit and arranged a visit. They have only been going 18 months officially but are going for charitable status, fund raising etc.
I am trying to be realistic with the demands on my time. Although, I might become the dog and snake lady to the locals after this visit :)
I already have 6 rescue dogs, I am currently single so all their care falls to me and being a teacher many evenings are spent planning and marking essays. All my dogs are insured (expensive but I like to know I could afford any expensive operation if I had too) and I was considering insuring Colin, my current snake, does any anyone do this with their snakes?

So that's the logical reason I'm trying to be sensible staple, it may not work! :)

Edited by - animalcrazy on 08/05/2011 12:28:02
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most awesome I am excited for you xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Royal sounds like it needs your help. I won't lie, they are a great snake, they can be fussy feeders but the setup you described doesn't sound very suitable at all, nor does the food. If you want more royal info though www.theroyalpython.co.uk is great.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  18:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I fell for the corn snake :) Horatio has joined my house. He is lovely and the first thing he did was poo on my bed! I thought something was wrong at first, he froze, I thought is he playing dead, then he lifted his tail and, well it was interesting to watch. I had a dog poo bag in my pocket and caught most of it:) The old throw on my bed for this reason is now on my washing line! I took a few quick photos of Horatio before I put him on for the settling in period. I will post later.

I know the python needs help, feel bad I can't take both but have to do what's right for the animals I have. I will ask my friend to pass on the link I was reading and the care sheet from the other forum. The python has reached adult size and is very friendly so hopefully that means it is at least happy, even if it's not the best set up at moment but will definitely push the information.

Edited by - animalcrazy on 08/05/2011 18:54:50
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  19:44:16  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lovely. Am lookin forward to seeing horatio.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  19:57:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aww :) no I don't insure my snakes simply as it's like £30 a year for each snake. I'd rather put like a few hundred quid away for if anything goes wrong as it's cheaper that way for me.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  20:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not great photos but gives you an idea. He was called bubbles but I have named him Horatio.
He is friendly but a little jumpy near his head, which is understandable given he was a rescue and hasn't been handled as much as a pet snake normally is. I have him settled down, so will leave him till next weekend till a feed now. Apparently he eats like a pig, is about approx 2 years and 2 foot long but I will measure him myself next week.

Close ups next weekend :) He is an amel but is he a particular type?

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  10:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he is lovely

Go to Top of Page

Carson1915
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  23:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's lovely, but defo bigger than 2ft mines is 9 months old and about 3ft long!

Admin - Signiture image too large - please resize

1 Wild type Corn - F - Carson
1 bearmese Mountain Dog - Boston

Wishlist:

Royal Python
Hognose
Iguana
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  07:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes since got a friend to measure using the software and he came out 46 inches. 3 foot 8 inches :)

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  09:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's lovely.

Congrats on the new addition :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly