New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danny919
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  08:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how come the people advise you to keep baby corns in really tiny housing like, faunariums ? When in the wild they will have no limit to were they can move and will cover alot more space than just that little tank? Ive put my baby corn into a 2ft x 1.5ft viv since ive had him and hes doing fine.

Can it harm the snake putting them in a large viv or is it just personal preference?

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  08:52:27  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A faun is plenty big enough for a hatchling. They do not need massive amounts of space. Secondly, where there is a lot more covering with like bushes, trees ect in the wild to plenty of chance to hide, in captivity they generally *don't* get as much covering as it is not needed because of the smaller space. If a hatchling goes into a massive vivarium it can get stressed easily because vivarium tend to be more open and due to the sheer size f the space, the only way I can describe it is that the feel more comfortably being able to feel 2/3 sides of a space. And then there's the issue of escapees through the vivarium cable holes and the doors. Some people do get a viv and out a partition in it and make it escapee proof instead of getting a faun or a RUB but its don't to prefence, so long as the area you put it in isn't massive of you cover it exstreamly well but then you may never be able to find your corn with all the stuff in the viv.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  09:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

A faun is plenty big enough for a hatchling. They do not need massive amounts of space. Secondly, where there is a lot more covering with like bushes, trees ect in the wild to plenty of chance to hide, in captivity they generally *don't* get as much covering as it is not needed because of the smaller space. If a hatchling goes into a massive vivarium it can get stressed easily because vivarium tend to be more open and due to the sheer size f the space, the only way I can describe it is that the feel more comfortably being able to feel 2/3 sides of a space. And then there's the issue of escapees through the vivarium cable holes and the doors. Some people do get a viv and out a partition in it and make it escapee proof instead of getting a faun or a RUB but its don't to prefence, so long as the area you put it in isn't massive of you cover it exstreamly well but then you may never be able to find your corn with all the stuff in the viv.

^^ this xxxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  10:31:29  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Think about it, in the wild a baby snake of any species including venomous snakes will find the first small secure place and squeeze itself in there, safe, away from harm and predators. Snakes like to hide, makes them feel safe and secure.

Me personally being a new snake owner, I do not want to cause any harm by stressing my little hatchling out, so she's in a faun with hides, leafy vines, stones and bark to hide under, and she must be happy as she's drinking, pooping and eating greedily.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 07/05/2011 10:32:50
Go to Top of Page

Danny919
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  21:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my corn is feeding and pooping havnt seen it drink tho, but it does have plenty to hide in ive got like 4 hides and he only uses the one typical lol, i was thinking of getting a hammock or something high level for him, but am not sure where to purchuse one from,
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  00:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a 2 foot vivarium from the start too and got lucky that my snake was OK. The theory behind the smaller enclosure is all snakes will be fine in a small space, some snakes don't do well in big spaces. You can't directly compare a captive animal to its wild counterpart, for a start a wild corn snake is very unlikely to have human interaction like our captive buddies do, having to deal eith our comings and goings, the TV, hoover, stereo, tripping over putting a shoe on etc, in these circumstances a wild snake would run away or failing that hide, we can't provide them the run away option so they need to be able to hide, larger enclosures usually means larger open spaces and its actually that bit you need to avoid, lets them go about their business while hiding from the big bald monkeys that are always around. If you use a bigger enclosure, pack it out full of foliage and hides and tunnels etc and its most likely they will do just fine but you have to be prepared to change it should they show any signs of stress.

I got my reptile hammock from ebay. Spot LOVES it! Its wedged up in the top corner of the cool end and has foliage over it so doubles as a great hide. So good I lose him all the time and then he usually pokes his head out and laughs at me.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 08/05/2011 00:16:24
Go to Top of Page

Danny919
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  08:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you latabob ill take a look, the cage is full of stuff, i want more artificial plants because he loves hiding in it, ive also bought a skull ment for a fish tank which he hides in, he loves it, to me he hasnt shown any size of stress, he doesnt mind me handling him, but only when hes out in his viv and not hiding, which at the minute isnt often because hes about to shed, hes eyes was blue 2 days
ago, i looked in the skull last nite and his eyes were black, so am expecting a skin any day now,
Im going to look on ebay now for a reptile hammmock,
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  09:14:15  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I used a 2 foot vivarium from the start too and got lucky that my snake was OK. The theory behind the smaller enclosure is all snakes will be fine in a small space, some snakes don't do well in big spaces.

Exactly :) I have an adult corn who feels much more comfortably in a 2ftish Rub than a nice big viv. I also have another snake a similar size to her that loves the space of a 4ft viv.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:27:49  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lotabob rep hammocks would be great in a nice big rub for more climbing and hidy places I need to remember that. Danny I've never saan my snake drinking but her water goes down so she must be lol

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000