Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  09:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning All

I am going to try and get Bailey to eat again this weekend as he has been very active in the viv the last few days and seems to have overcome his initial need to hide all the time..

Can I please ask am I doing it right ?

The 1st time I tried 2 days after I got him on the pet shop's advice I kind of waived it around in front of his hide so he could smell it and then left it in the viv on some tissue paper.

2nd attenpt I didn't mess with it but just left it in the viv overnight and nothing

Also as he has been out so much through the day and when we are in the room too massive improvement do you think I might be able to hold him now ?

All suggestions please would be very appreciated

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon - Lola
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
0.0.2 Fish - Daisy & Alfie
1.1.0 Kids - Cían and Erin
1.0.0 - Very understanding hubby

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  10:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tend to hold the mouse with tongs and wiggle it so it makes twitching movements, in front of the snakes head. Once the snakes tongue starts flicking I slowly move the mouse so the snake follows the smell and moves towards the mouse.

Tbh at this point all of mine strike the mouse and constrict it but maybe if you just keep making the mouse twitch until he seems interested he may then strike or open his mouth and take the mouse.

Make sure the mouse is nice and warm too.

Good luck, hope he takes it for you. I would wait till after he has had a feed before you start to handle him (waiting at least 48 hours). It's a pain but it is best to wait.
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  10:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd keep on the safe side and wait to handle him till he's fed and digested.
I do as Louise suggested,wiggle mousey about with some tongs and once they are interested let them follow it for a little while. Loki has only ever struck once though and although the wiggling and chasing gets him keen he won't attempt to start feeding on it till I've laid it down for him.
It may also be a case that he'd prefer to be fed in a container. My house snakes had been fed in their tubs before I got them,so I decided not to change them to feeding in a seperate container till they'd settled. My female housie refused her 1st feed with me and took a fair few hours to take her 2nd feed.
Decided to throw caution to the wind and try feeding her in a seperate container the 3rd time,and she took her feed nearly straight away! She's fed twice since in the feeding tub with no issues at all.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  11:30:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sometimes waving can make them want to eat, other times it can scare the hell out of them and put them off food :( How old/big is your snake? If it's still wee I would get like an emtpy butter tub/icecream tub or any tub that isn't transparent and put air holes in it and put snake and mouse in that and then cover lid and leave for a few hours.

Warm mice they normally go for, I have one snake that only accept warm food! I either put mouse in a tub snakey cant get to on the heatmat or I give it a quick blast with the hair dryer.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  12:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is 5 years old and from what I can judge about 4ft long

Thank you again for the advice I will leave him until Sunday and maybe try again

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  14:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do the wiggling thing with some tongs - it is hardly necessary because my corn practically takes my hand off at feeding time, but for some reason she doesn't like trying to pick it up off the floor by herself. Perhaps she's just really spoiled and she just likes to have her dinner literally handed to her. But when I first got her, she preferred to be left alone in a dark place to eat it in her own time.
As your corn is a bit older, do you know how he liked to be fed by his previous owner?

2.0.0 Western hognose (Baldrick and Bob)
0.1.0 Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)
Go to Top of Page

Alyson19802
Hatchling

United Kingdom
162 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  14:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I am not sure how long he was in the shop for but I don't think it was long as he was owned by his friend before that Ill give it another go on Sunday wish me luck :0)

0.1.0 Snow Corn- Bailey
1.0.0 Rabbit -Freckles
0.1.0 Cat - Cleo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: