Keeping heat right
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  10:53:39  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How do you keep the heat in hatchling fauns? At the mo I have Dakota's faun sitting on top of 2 cork mats, then 2 bits of folded tinfoil the size of the heat mat, with heat mat on top and then faun sitting on it, the stat prob is on top of heat mat and digi therm probe on bottom of faun is same position as the stat probe and under a layer of substrate. There is no probs with the temps, it is between 28.5 and 29.5*C warm end and around 18-20*C cool end, I am just wondering if a polystyrene tile would be better?

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  10:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't use anything other than a heat strip under the rubs. No foil, no tile. Thermostat probe is stuck down to the heatstrip and digital thermomete in each rub.

Temps hold great, 27-30c for the corns and brb. 30-33c for the boas, kings, hognose and jungles.

Simples :D

If your temps are fine, why change it?

Edited by - Invalid User on 05/05/2011 10:59:48
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  12:28:20  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
your temps are fine ailsa an if ya using a mat stat u got very little fuctuation there which is very good as most people come on asking why there getting hot end temos between 26-29 etc. u got a one degree variation which is ace :)

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  12:32:22  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
chris its a microclimate stat im using, got it from blue lizard reptiles and after a little tweeking i've not got it right, i do keep a good eye on it.

Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  12:55:21  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if its a mini stat then it works like a mat stat which is an on/off stat. these types of stats are known to give a few degrees fluxuaction in hot end temps

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  12:57:59  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah it goes on then off but i have a digi thermom which i keep an eye on

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:02:51  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
youve done well to get it set up so u have such a small fluxuation :)

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have exactly same prob with mine using the same stat, have the same set up except i have tinfoil wrapped in a towel with mat on top only fluctuates now between 28-30c, seems it takes time for the heat to build up i raised the stat temp slightly to get it just right now

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:09:48  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just want to make sure im doing things properly chris, finally starting to not worry so much, wish snakes were as easy as cats lol

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:16:52  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rake

i have exactly same prob with mine using the same stat, have the same set up except i have tinfoil wrapped in a towel with mat on top only fluctuates now between 28-30c, seems it takes time for the heat to build up i raised the stat temp slightly to get it just right now

its just a charactoristic of an on/off stat there notorious for it. i first used a on/off stat but was getting really big fluxuactions i couldnt overcome so bit the bullet an got a pulse prop stat. an with that im looking at now more that 1/2 a degree fluxuation. dont get me wrong on/off are good an there cheap, but pulse prop do hold the temp more precise

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  13:17:31  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

just want to make sure im doing things properly chris, finally starting to not worry so much, wish snakes were as easy as cats lol

you doing just fine ailsa

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  18:09:48  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Chris, can you use pulse prop in faunarium or should i wait until she is in a viv ?? my temps are between 28/29.5 now :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000