Taming your new snake..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rubberbiscuit
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  01:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anybody got any inspirational stories about taming their corn snakes??
I got Kiora out for the first time the other day and I dont think he was very amused!! Lots of hissing and trying to escape, (oh and he gave me heart failure by hiding under the kitchen towels making me think he had escaped!).
I expect it will take a couple of months for him to settle, esp with some noisy dogs around. Although TBH I was very tentative picking him up, I was worried I would drop him or hurt him. I dont know how much he was handled coz although he is 8mths he was from a pet shop.
So....how often should I be handling him?? (I dont want to annoy him!)
and how long did it take your corn snakes to settle down??

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  08:50:25  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I've had Dakota now for 3 weeks and she's just over 3 months old, she's still settling in and hiding and apart from trying to eat my finger a few times when changing her water first few times she's been good as gold, no hissing, tail rattling or biting, she is a wee bit flighty st first when i take her out but soon settles and slithers all through my fingers.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  13:51:41  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's just regular handling, for a few mins a day (aside from the 48 hours after feeding) that will slowly calm it down.
Unfortunately no snake ever becomes tame, they just tolerate the handling.
I've had snakes that have taken 2 weeks to get them more tolerant, others are still a bit flighty sometimes now after a year.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000