Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 How did you become interested in snakes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  08:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Just thought it would be interesting to find out how people became interested in snakes as pets or reptiles in general. I'm new here so might get to know a few of you a bit more

The first time I handled a snake was when I was 5 at primary school, my school got a reptile and mollusc man in every year for a week for us all to learn about animals I was only small (only 5 foot now) and I remember him putting a huge royal ball python round my shoulders -loved it and was never afraid of snakes because of that I think, although I love almost any animal anyway.

Unfortunately, I was already terrified of spiders due to my mam's fear so didn't pick up the tarantulas!

Colin is my first snake, we are a 'dog' family, always had multiple hounds around, so I got involved in dog rescue but finally got round to a wonderful snake recently

So what's your story?

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  09:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thread I know its a cliche but snakes fascinate me! From a young age I was struck by how differently they lived their lives, I'm animal mad and have owned an assortment of dogs, rodents, fish and birds but I always wanted a snake. Luckily my OH is snake-friendly and so Vin joned the family!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  09:48:05  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had never handled a snake in my life.. but they had always interested me. After a year or so of asking my hubby repeatedly if I could get a corn and doing research etc on it he finally agreed to let me have one. I just put the charms on when I decide I want another type of snake and it seems to work

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  10:00:05  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've always loved animals, grew up with a cat and have 2 cats now im living on my own. I've loved snakes ever since I held one at edinburgh zoo about 4 years ago and after doing my research I now have my first snake which is a bloodred corn snake, planning my 2nd snake a tangerine milk snake and 3rd a dwarf boa.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  10:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a young child I saw some reptiles in a pet shop and was fascinated. I remember dreaming I could have something like that,but never thinking I'd be able to.
In my early teens,again on holiday I was out for a walk with my dad and we came across a grass snake on a road. I was worried about it getting run over so I picked it up and put it in some undergrowth,sparked my interest even more.
Finally in my twenties I got a couple of beardies and my now ex had a Burmese python when I met him.
Had no pets for a while due to having kids,thenm got my bird and the piggies as the kids got older.
Last year my kids asked for a corn snake,I was only to happy to say yes,and Loki came home with us. I became totally fascinated by him and had to get Falcor for myself.....and the addiction coninues.

Snakes are the future!!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  10:08:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i used to work at a place that had animals for film and tv (amongst other things) the place was absolutely awful though
my ex-boss used to keep a baby boa in a glass fish tank on her Aga.......i started looking after it (as, like the rest of her animals, it was neglected almost to the point of getting the RSPCA in)
when i left the place, which didn't take long, i got my first cornsnake, an anery called Birch, that was in 2003.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  10:22:57  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my family have always been interested in animals. my dad had a red knee tarantula, chillean rose tarantula and a goliath bird eatting tarantula as a kid and my grandad bred and still does breed moths and butterflys and he used to breed tropical fish and some ended up being on a james bond film xD
my dad and grandad were friendly with someone who owned a tropical fish and reptile shop and one day i walked and i just stopped and stared at all the snakes he let me handle a corn and i loved it:) few years on my friend got one so i asked my mum and dad and my dad was more than thrilled that i had a interest in reptiles....then i got my corn....then i got a job in a reptile shop :D

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  11:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My addiction is an odd one, I'm animal mad for a start but snakes came into my life when I was out playing as a child, I was up a tree (as kids do) and when I jumped out something whipped up and hit me in the shin. It was painful but nothing to worry about so carried on regardless. After about 10 minutes the pain became very sore and my leg started to swell and my mucsles just decide enough was enough so I was carried the rest of the way home. The emergency doctor was brought out and he found the puncture wounds in my leg, I'd been bitten by an Adder. Then he turned me into a pin cushion with injections and I was laid up for days and days. The most vivid of my memories of this was my big swollen red shin all cracked and looking like a piece of marble. After that I learnt abouut snakes and rather than fear them I was fascinated by them.

The Adder has alluded my collection so far but maybe one day if I find a captive bred (which is the only kind your legally allowed) I'll bring one home.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  12:17:14  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Snakes are a VERY recent thing for me. I never really gave it any thought and just assumed I guess that all snakes were vicious killers etc etc. But a couple of months ago I was in my local pet store getting some parrot food and just had a nosy in their reptile room. There I overheard a conversation about how lovely corn snakes are and how easy they are to keep and how many different kinds you can get and all that and I just got fascinated by it all. So I then spent a week or so doing some heavy research and went out and bought my first one. That was early this month and I've already got 2 more since then!

And yesterday I discovered that not all boas reach 15ft and thick as tree trunks, so I quite fancy one of them now!! But as a brand new snake keeper I think I should just stick to corns for a little while.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  12:21:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When I was 5 though, I cannot remeber much about my life before that lol. I was at a zoo and a guy got a big boa out and let me hold/stroke it. When going to the petshop after that, I used to always look at the snakes.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  12:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we got into snakes by my OH dad . we had a big fish tank and it was getting hard work to clean etc and the father -in law to be suggested converting it and getting a corn snake . wel that was it then i was researching them and then got fascinated and worked on my Oh abit , now we have two . and a python . lol! the addiction i still there....

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  12:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always loved reps. I was massivly into dinosaurs as a kid and wanted to be an archeologist when I grew up so I could go digging for dinosaur bones lol

I always wanted a lizard as they are so prehistoric looking but all the small ones eat bugs and I can't stand any bugs :( The big ones eat meat but can be very expensive to keep.

I always loved snakes but didnt realise how easy they were to keep. I first looked into getting one 2 years ago and did lots of research but due to a few personal issues I couldn't get one until the end of last year when I fianlly bought my first corn, Nimbus, who was actually an xmas pressie for my daughter!

Since then I have let the addiction take complete hold of me (as I'm sure you all know) and have many more corns, moved onto a king, boas and a hognose I hope to breed some of my corns next year.
Go to Top of Page

MsThomson
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  14:28:36  Show Profile  Visit MsThomson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last year a snake escaped out of its viv in my local pet shop right on front of me and i got a massive case of the howling rain dances as one of my kids wanted to pick it up so it wouldnt escape!! I was proper scared! lol

Now since doing a bit of homework on corn snakes after my daughter has gone on and on and on about wanting one ive discovered how beautiful, safe and interesting they are as pets... even held one for the first time this week!

I cant wait to get my first snake (hopefully next week )
and to answer the question then....its all my daughters fault!

Go to Top of Page

jimspook
Egg

77 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  14:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always had an interest in snakes and lizards on the whole, from a very early age. Got taken to this place along a main road in the middle of nowhere. There was a massive porta cabin with about 100 snakes in it. My dad insisted I have a burmese chucked round my neck, being about 5 or 6 I completely crapped my pants and for the next 20 years remained really fearful of the buggers. Got over that fear about two years ago and ended up with the gorgeous Artemis I have now.

0.1.0 Normal CB09 - Artemis

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  15:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my first snake 8 years ago after watching a vet friend of my family feeding a wee hatchling that they had in the surgery for treatment. I was totally fascinated and got Casper for my 14th Birthday.

After spending years researching snakes some more I decided to get another female early last year to breed from, but unfortunately she died after becoming eggbound. So, did more research, and then ended up with a royal and another rescued corn, and it went from there. I've been very careful to not just rush into buying tonnes of snakes in a very short space of time though- I don't call it an addiction... after all, they are live animals, not drugs or designer clothes.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  16:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really interesting reading how you all got the snake 'bug' :)

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  18:06:14  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Where I was dragged up our back garden led straight into a forest so from when we were old enough we were out in that and in the openings catching stuff.
Think the first snake I brought back I was about 7.
It just carried on from there.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  18:42:18  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Always loved creatures, went to volunteer at the Safari park by us and the room I work in has 2 corn snakes, well that was it, I came home that day and said we are having a snake I never realised how fascinated I was as was always an ocean based creature fan. We have never looked back and Tiko came along from the local reptile rescue and we love him like a child!!
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  18:50:18  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've been brought up with pets all my life but I had my first reptile when I was 7, we'd moved to Kenya where I was given a chamaeleon and a bushbaby, my next one was a tokay gecko back in 1994 and then January just gone I adopted Rhubarb and Custard which was quite something for me as I was scared of snakes and always said I would never ever have either snakes or rats. My only regret is that I didn't have snakes years ago.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

centricmalteser2
Banned

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  20:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family always had pet's around me when I was a baby (2 dogs), one of which recently I had to put down 2 years ago , she was 23!!! and a cross between collie and black labrador

I had pet rats, mice, budgies, over the years and was always fascinated by snakes, more from the constrictor side of things,

So decided to start with a corn snake although I am after a burmese python as a dream pet lol
Go to Top of Page

saamicaat
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2011 :  23:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always grown up with pets, but having a good understanding from a young age helped a lot! Reptiles became a bit of a fascination when I was about 10 or 11 when my step dad wanted a Chameleon, we got one but I didn't really have much to do with it. My parents then suggested getting a Leopard Gecko as a first kind of reptile pet for me to look after and have responsibilty for. I've never wanted a rabbit or a guinea pig, always something more interesting! Then last year for my birthday they said I could get a Leo, I had looked at snakes too and they struck me as being more interesting than Leos, as cute as they are! I came across a rehoming centre near where I'm from and got baby Medusa and now I'm hooked. I'm looking at getting a King next then hopefully moving onto a Royal!
Where we go on holiday in Tenerife they have a reptile show and I'm usually first to volunteer, people think I'm mad! I think people need to have a better undertstanding of them, they're not horrid ugly slimey things! They're beautiful. I personally think they're better than other pets. Much more rewarding (sorry for the essay, got a bit carried away! [:$]

Medusa the Carolina Corn and Bert the Bearded Dragon.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000