Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 How did you become interested in snakes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rubberbiscuit
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  00:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was always fascinated by reptiles as a kid and spent alot of time hunting for lizards and slow worms, and pretty much anything else I could find! Ive had most of the fluffy pets you can have and have dogs, cats,rats and hamsters at the mo but decided it was time to try keeping a snake.
I think they are so beautiful and interesting to watch, although mine hasnt peed or pooed on me yet so I may changed my mind!!LOL
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  08:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always been surrounded, from when I was born, by animals, Dogs, cats, hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs and horses. When I left school I worked at a rescues centre/boarding kennels/cattery ans so I continued to be surrounded by them. My husband married me and my pets and when the kids came along so did more pets as they developed a strong interest in animals only the furry and feathered kind to start with. When my youngest son was aged 12 he expressed a great interest in snakes and spent hours researching them. He decided a corn snake would be ideal and asked if he could have one. I was apprehensive having never even held a snake but agreed that he would have to save his money if he really wanted one. In february last year we saw an advert for a corn and full set up and he saved enough pocket money so off we went to see it. My son fell inlove with Sid straight away and he came home with us. Within a month I myself was besotted with Sid and so the obsession began and we now share our home with 5 corns. My eldest son who is 15 has now decided that he would like a lizard so I guess when he has enough money we will be on the search for one. I hope I'm not besotted with the lizard he gets, we only have a very small house lol.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  15:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never thought of reps as pets and knew nothing about them. About 4-5 years ago we saw a talk at a zoo by Mark O'Shea who let us touch a bearded dragon and said people kept them as pets. Can you belive I'd never heard of them and thought it was the most exotic thing I'd ever seen!! My daughter who was only 5 at the time got hooked and wanted a pet lizard. We started to do loads of research and visit rep shops, eventually getting her a Rankins Dragon when she was 7.

Of course, once you are regularly visiting the rep shop to buy food they start encouraging you to hold their stock... I was fascinated by the snakes, the way they move and their strength. They were the ones who hooked me and a year later I had one and another year later I had two and I nearly had another but have no space!! Hubby said I can have a reptile room when our daughter moves out but she's only 10 now he he.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

boswell3782
Hatchling

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  19:41:52  Show Profile  Click to see boswell3782's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My friend has one and after picking it up, I fell in 'love' with snakes lol
Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Egg

Germany
50 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  20:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a kid I had the usual pets; rabbits, hamsters, cats etc. But unusual pets had always fascinated me and reptiles in particular. I got my first snake when I was about 17, a corn, and then had 3 leopard geckos. Unfortunately life sent me in a different direction and I had to re-home my herps (this may be why I always ask people to re-house unwanted herps).
Anyway, I finally ended up in Germany and wasn't planning on having any more pets. All was going to plan until a friend turned up with a cali king in a dust bin. Since housing this snake I've received 2 more unwanted snakes, a corn and a royal. I don't think these will be the last.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000