Measuring Length
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  11:08:54  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Has anyone used the serpentine Widget thingy I found on here to measure their snakies? Am trying to measure dakota but dont think am doing it right.
Just measured Dakota using this and it gave me a length of 50.12 centimetres, she's just over 3 months of age now. Does that sound right?

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  11:25:18  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I took an overhead picture of her using a glass case as a guide which measured 15 centimetres and then carefully joined the dots to measure snakie lol

Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  13:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you've set it right then its right, Its very accurate and 20 inches (sorry I work metric but cant work snake measuremens in anything but feet and inches) isn't massive and about right, well as right as can be as they are all different.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  14:01:17  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use it and have found it pretty accurate (i think) lol

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  14:02:49  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
try an use something smaller as ya gauge like a credit card it will be more accurate when using a shorter item to set lengh, i use something thats about 5-7 cm. when u do ua dots up the snake try an keep ya line central an little an often. id say u will get a shorter measurement then 50 cm is only a few inch shy of 2 ft which is is possible but abit big i think

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  14:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just use string. Very acurate lol
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  14:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHA I saw 8 months, I reallt need to go to the opticians! 3 months is a bit young for that size.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  14:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ailsa I thought you told us you measured her yesterday and she was just under 12 inches which sounds about right.

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  15:32:15  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah i did, first time i did it it gave me a measurement of 28cm but today it was 50 and i did it the same way, dont know what i did wrong but i will try using something smaller as a measure guide. Ach maybe i will just try a piece of string lol.

Edited by - Ailsa on 23/04/2011 15:34:37
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  15:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or just don't worry! She is prob around 12 inches like you said yesterday and she will grow lots over the next few years so just sit back and enjoy it :D She will be fine in that faunarium for ages yet :)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  15:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taken from the snake measurer site: The larger the item used for measurement, the better. If you have an item that is 1 inch long, and your snake is 50 inches long, and your measurement of the item is off by 1/16th of an inch, you are going to multiply that error by over 3 inches.

Put a ruler on the floor and put the snake next to it and take a picture from above, then click the 0 point and the 12 inch (or 6 if your only using a little one) mark. then very closely trace the spine of the snake.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  15:59:18  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a ruler but its a long one not a little one, would say a credit card or mobile do ok?

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  18:28:20  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

I have a ruler but its a long one not a little one, would say a credit card or mobile do ok?

as lotabob quoted from the snake measurer site, longer is better.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  19:22:48  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks loctabob got a pic of snakie next to a ruler and it was fine so thank you

Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  21:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must be lazy lol I just measured Vin's shed to give me an idea!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000