Question on heating with bulbs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  17:44:26  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I took ownership of 3 new corns on Sunday (pics to come when they have settled in). They came complete with a viv stack and everything.

However, the stack is heated using bulbs which I don't really have any experience with so could do with some help. I bought some guards for it as there weren't any fitted and have installed some new digital thermometers today. It does have one already in the top viv but dial ones in all the others. All the lights are controlled by the same dimmer stat, the probe is in the top viv in the middle at substrate level. I have got it set so that the digital thermometer is reading from substrate level underneath the bulb.
The problems I am having is that the top viv is getting hotter than the bottom viv. Also when I wake up in the morning the thermometer in the top viv was reading around 31oC so I turned the thermostat down gradually until i was getting a consistant 28oC or so. But then I go to check on them around this time and the temperatures have dropped to 26oC. After installing the new digital thermometers the bottom viv was 3oC lower than the top.
The sun isn't on the vivs to make the thermostat cut the heat off so I don't know why it is being so inconsistant. Obviously I can't keep adjusting the thermostat and I want to get it sorted before it's time for their first feed with me.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  18:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion to get the perfect temperature setup the bulbs really need individual dimmer stats. As heat has a habit of rising the top viv will be hotter than the bottom one. An airgap or insulation between each viv will solve it but if your is a custom build the roof of one viv is probably the floor of the next one.

The best you can do for the moment is put the stat probe in the top one, don't want to cook the penthouse occupant.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  19:49:41  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Doh!!! Didn't think about heat rising. Yeah the roof of one is the floor of the next.

What do you think about the fluctuations in temp at different times of the day? I don't really want to be worrying about temps dropping to 22-23oC in the bottom viv when I feed them.

I think I'm going to have to disturb them and put mats in. At least I know what I'm doing with them.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  20:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mat sharing for lights is not recommended, Would either change to mats that you can easily share stats or get individual dimmers.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  21:23:16  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats what I meant G. Using mats on mats stats instead of using bulbs. Just means that I have got to take the snakes out so I can drill a hole for the cables. N get the temperatures right

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  21:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mats will be loads easier to sort and they can be on the same stat so loads cheaper.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  22:15:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the heat transfer can be an absolute swine..........i'd go for mats any day!!
if you get 3 the same you should be able to run them all through 1 stat and get reasonable temps hun

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  22:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got my Royal I wanted Spot to be in the top viv but I totally forgot about the heat rising issue and I found Spot hanging out in his branches and his temps were through the roof, shifted it the other way round and problem solved. I'm planning the viv stack for when my babies are all grown up and looking for some nice posh metal legs to create a nice airgap/shelf between vivs.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  23:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a stack of 2 vivs thinking one stat would be ok lol
Well let just say I got 2 dimmers now
The top light sometimes hardly on as the bottom one is heating the bottom of my season viv
I'd like to be the snake in the top viv best of both worlds

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  21:31:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
even with each viv and bulb having it's own stat the heat transfer was still a nightmare, Daz ended up having to get really expensive hanging fittings and metal heat shields to minimize the effects on the viv above

*whispers* go for maaaaattttsssssss

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 21/04/2011 21:32:44
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  22:33:51  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
*whispers* i am going for maaattttssssss. lol

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  10:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I much prefer using bulbs, but agree that in stacks they are a right pain.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2011 :  10:42:49  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

even with each viv and bulb having it's own stat the heat transfer was still a nightmare, Daz ended up having to get really expensive hanging fittings and metal heat shields to minimize the effects on the viv above

*whispers* go for maaaaattttsssssss

i agree with gp here, i had my corn viv ontop of my JCP viv. he had a 150w i/r bulb giving a basking spot 6 inch away or 30oC. my corn viv was seeing a temp of 33oC on the substrate an that was through 30mm of wood an the mat stat turned off. so had to make a stand to lift it up abit

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000