New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MightyMouse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  19:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had 5 year old cornsnake for nearly a month now an the last week an half or 2 weeks its been behaving strange, temps are steady 28/29 on the heat mat. about 21 cool end. fed about 7 days ago no problem (missed on first strike) pooping fine, drinking most days.

her most used hide is on the heat mat, its an upturned terracotta plant pot with a big hole cut in the side and a top vent hole, she will come out about 6 inches an lift her head right up almost verticle anfreeze there for a good 10 mins at a time. have caught her doiing this in other areas of the viv too. I assumed it was like bascing in the sun or somethin then seen her doing it more horizontal about a half inch off the ground frozen for about 10 mins.

Today i had her out an she was on my knee having a mooch about an she froze uncurled not moving a muscle head about quarter of ince off my knee for a good 10 mins. i touched her back, nothing, i picked her up a little, about an hich off my knee with one hand an nothing, then when i really picked her up to put her back inthe tank incase she was playing dead from stress she came back to like an moved again.

this evening i openind her viv to check the temps an she was hovering her head again an didnt move untill i made a light noise onthe side of the plant pot where my nail scratched it an her head spun around like she didnt notice i was there.

shes been doing alot of noseing on the front glass and climbing up it.

is all this normal? i even wondered if she could have poor eyesight as i presented her with her food dangle it in her line of sight an she didnt notice it till i touched it onto her nose then she did the missed strike. May she just be asleep 'sat up'? an relaxed enough to fall asleep on my knee after 3 mins of being out?

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  21:17:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what does she do it you turn her upsidedown ie. onto her back?
is there any evidence of retained eyecaps? has she shed for you since you've had her? (though missing a strike isn't uncommon)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  01:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Gingerpony said, it would be an idea to check to retained caps.

And I dunno if this is worth noting, but my younger hatchling corn often 'freezes' per say, where I can prod and poke him all I like, but he just seems fixated on something, but starts moving again after a wee while.
Go to Top of Page

MightyMouse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  05:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah she shed an yes both eye caps are on the shed skin. Not turned her upside down before, ill try it next time she goes blank when i have her out, dont wanna scare her tho.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000