New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  15:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey just a quick one , how do u all measure ur snakes? i have weighed ours , but would like to get measurements ? whats the best way to do this ? x

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  15:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not ever having done it, but i think i would probably use a piece of string, then measure that ;-)

0.0.1 Amel Corn CB10 Luna
1.0.0 Orchid Corn CB08 Mizuki
0.1.0 Hypo Corn CB10 Hala
0.1.0 Normal het lav CB09 Neona
1.2.0 Normal Royals, Jericho, Eclipse and Monday

and various other critters including, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a hamster, a gerbil, 3 fish, 1 husband and 3 daughters :-)
Go to Top of Page

fone
Snake Mite

Ireland
21 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  17:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is a program on here somewhere (i found it reading through old threads) that you take an airel photo of the snake next to something like a ruler. then you measure how long the ruler, or box, or what ever is, and it compares it next to the snake. i used it and it worked great. snake doesnt need to be laying flat. and string is just a pain for me.

maybe one of the older members will remember what it was called...
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  17:29:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snake measurer: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12179

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  09:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've given up on the string method as they are way too wiggly! I just measure the shed then deduct 10%. It may not be entirely accurate but as I measure them this way every time they shed it does show the change from one shed to another.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  10:38:09  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll vouch for snake measurer. It's brilliant and so simple! :)

Just as well, coz I'm useless at guessing. I was saying my snake was a little over a foot, when she is actually nearly 20 inches...

EDIT: Weighing. What scales are best for that? Digital obviously, but are kitchen weighing scales ok, or is there another way I'm not aware of? :)

Pete

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Edited by - ptmbradley on 19/04/2011 10:40:15
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  10:38:27  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use snake measurer every 3 months or so. I do also measure sheds and record this but I find it can be pretty unreliable because they can stretch different amounts each time. In fact I think last time one of mine shed, it had shrunk according to the shed measurements lol

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

MightyMouse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  13:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just measured mine with a dressmakers tape measure. she was spread out on the sofa an i lay the tape measure along side her she was 2 inches short of 5 foot. give or take an inch or 2 .

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000