Moving him into a new viv?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:17:41  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I was just wondering what you guys thought of me moving my little Amel into a 3x2x2 viv?
And obviously keeping him in it for life?
It's going spare and it's fully set up with ceramic, pulse stat and thermometers etc...
Make sense to use something already available?
Or too big.
For those who don't know my corn snake, he is now about 6 months old.
But small for his age

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
1.0.0 Normal Royal - Ronald.
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Magic.
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Pendulum.
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Chilli.
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Wormsle.
0.1.0 California King x Mexican Black - Lucy.
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Bear.

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:30:08  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ive got my 8month old snow corn in a full size set up, ive just added shed loads of hides and plants, so she can mooch about without getting stressed, mines about the same size as yours hun

she does well in it, never had a prob with her being stressed or not feeding/regurge

just give pendulum time to settle, just put loads of hides/plants/substrate just in case so he can hide from ya lol

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats a 6ft floor space viv.
That's a MASSIVE size for snake so small, I'd go via the Rub route until it's (if ever) big enough for that.
My boas are in smaller vivs than that.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:45:19  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's what I was thinking Irv, he has never had any problems eating or any signs of stress or anything like that, like always sheds well etc...
Although I might wait until he's maybe another month or two older.
He wasn't growing, and then someone suggested giving him mice instead of rat, and now he's putting a little bit of weight on him.

I can see where you're coming from K, he's in a RUB now, but you can't really see in it, he doesn't get too much light, and I think ceramic heating rather than heat mat would be better for him.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he is better off staying in a rub with a heatmat. If you have no choice fair enough but you do so why move a tiny corn into 6ft of floor space?

Just buy a bigger snake for the viv lol
Go to Top of Page

Thante
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Thante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What type of viv is it ? If its going spare then you might as well take it for when Pendulum is a little bigger. You could ether find a way of dividing up the space within the viv, or just keep the RUB inside the viv for now, taking advantage of the heat.

I think the plus on doing it would mean you wouldn't have to move him again, so you don't need to worry about stressing him out with constant sizing up of RUBS. But it is very big :P you'd need alot of hides, and a good check to make sure there are no gaps big enough for him to escape through.

0.1.0 Cherry - 09 Normal
1.0.0 Tequila - 09 Caramel Motley
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:55:50  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well thanks for all your advice, that's why I love these forums, always honest.
I think for now I shall leave him in the RUB.
I just wasn't sure with the heatmat and stuff, but I will leave him for now and see how he goes on with his weight gaining :)

Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  21:03:12  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Oh How Original

That's what I was thinking Irv, he has never had any problems eating or any signs of stress or anything like that, like always sheds well etc...

no my corn has never had any probs with eating, stress or anything

and she always sheds well....ive never had a problem with her, but as i said, ive filled it with plants, extra hides and deep aspen on the cool end so she can hide if she wishes, although she does spend most of her time up her branch which ive wrapped plants all through it

sorry if ive given bad advice, but thought this was an open forum, to give other ppl your experiences???....how wrong i was, perhaps thats why i dont post so much cuz of always being shot down

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
582 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  21:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irv I have 2 of mine in 3 ft vivs too. I had another one in too but she was stressed by it so she's in a terrium now getting on better. The others tho have no problem with a large space. Like yours well kitted out with hides braches with plants wrapped round them. They are both eating very well, shedding, active. It works for some, but not others as my lot prove. Yours too by the sounds of it

0.1 Philodryas baroni
2.7 western hognose
3.7 royal pythons
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  22:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irv I don't think it was bad advice, as all snake are different, some will get on just fine, some won't, the reason its advised that a RUB or smaller spaces are required is even a snake that will do fine in a huge space will also do just as well in the smaller space so smaller spaces works out a better option overall. I had a hatchling a few weeks old in a 2 foot viv, mainly because I didn't know better at that stage but he showed absolutely no ill effect and the viv was packed full of stuff to climb, hide under and tunnel through so worked out for the best but could have just as easily gone bad and I'd have had to setup a smaller environment for him.

I would say 6 sq foot floor space is big and as above may be fine but best practice leans towards staying small until Pendulum is bigger and it gives you an excuse to get a Boa.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 09/04/2011 22:25:09
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  07:03:23  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
SO WHY SHOULD THE MOD SHOOT ME DOWN?
GETTING TIRED OF IT

LIKE WHEN SNAKES ARE FOR SALE, I SAY I WISH, I GET MY POST REMOVED, YET WHEN OTHERS SAY IT, NOTHING IS DONE

GETTING SICK TO DEATH, HENCE ME NOT POSTING ADVICE CUZ NO MATTER WHAT I SAY ITS WRONG, SEEMS THE MODS GOT THEIR FAVES

AND I DONT FRICKING CARE IF MY PROFILE GETS REMOVED OR NOT, MY SNAKES ARE DOING GREAT IN VIVEXOTIC LX36 VIVS, YES 36" LONG! IVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM
SO WHY MODS? JEEZ GIVE ME A FRICKING BREAK

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  13:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lrv2307

SO WHY SHOULD THE MOD SHOOT ME DOWN?
GETTING TIRED OF IT

LIKE WHEN SNAKES ARE FOR SALE, I SAY I WISH, I GET MY POST REMOVED, YET WHEN OTHERS SAY IT, NOTHING IS DONE

GETTING SICK TO DEATH, HENCE ME NOT POSTING ADVICE CUZ NO MATTER WHAT I SAY ITS WRONG, SEEMS THE MODS GOT THEIR FAVES

AND I DONT FRICKING CARE IF MY PROFILE GETS REMOVED OR NOT, MY SNAKES ARE DOING GREAT IN VIVEXOTIC LX36 VIVS, YES 36" LONG! IVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM
SO WHY MODS? JEEZ GIVE ME A FRICKING BREAK

No mod has shot you down Kehhlyrs advice is to the OP not you.

yours is not the only posts removed from the classifieds and if you bothered to read the guidelines it would tell you DONT post there unless you are wanting to buy what is being sold, it saves the OP from trawling through pointless posts to find someone that is actually intertesed in buying the snake.

so we should go by your snakes as the benchmark then, all snakes are different and as such there is no one correct answer

and finally

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  17:19:16  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
At the end of the day you know your snake. It is up to you what you think is best based on advice given. The truth is some are ok in big spaces some aren't as we have discovered here. You could try it and if there are any signs of stress move him back into a smaller rub or partition part of the viv off.

My honest opinion is that I wouldn't want my little snake in a viv of that size. One big reason is that I would be worried about never finding it. It takes me long enough to find Peanut and Carmellia in their 2ft vivs sometimes and they are getting on for 3ft long.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  21:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I moved two of mine into 2ft vivs when they were about 6 months old and were 2ftish in length. Although they both continued to eat after moving into the vivs, Keith just seemed completely different in himself always hiding and never coming out like he use to when he was in his small faunarium. So I decided to move Keith back into a small faunarium and he is now back to his usual self out and about every evening all be it a little cramped but he is happy. Frank didn't give a monkies and continued to come out and still does. It really does seem to depend on the snake and I'm sure you would soon realise if he was not happy with a viv.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000