Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Rotating a snake collection for display?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  06:09:39  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Having only bought my first corn this very week, I'm a long way from this at the moment, but I was just wondering...

Let's say I got half a dozen corn snakes, all quite happy in their own RUB or whatever. Would you forsee any problems having a display vivarium and rotating the snakes in it, say a month at a time? Would the change stress the snake too much or would they not be that bothered? I just wouldn't want a bunch of gorgeous snakes and have them hidden in boxes all the time, and lack of funds/room would mean no viv stack...

Like I say, I'm a long way from this (if ever!) but am just curious, just in case... ;)

Cheers!

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  08:03:26  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A lot would depend on the individual snakes. I've got a couple that wouldn't care at all but others that would get very stressed, even to the point of not eating! You wouldn't know for sure until you get to know your own snakes. Personally I'd be against the idea, what's the point of stressing any snake unless you have to? Others may advise differently.......
Edit to add: Some snakes spend most of their time in a hide so there's no guarantee they'd come out on 'display' anyway!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 09/04/2011 08:08:14
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  08:08:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i agree, moving them around into a different viv that smells of different snakes, especially when just as they get used to it they get moved back again, could potentially stress them out.
if you end up with several corns just choose your favourites to have vivs, and invest in a stack or stackable vivs so they take up minimal space.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:36:00  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be honest if it may take a while to get a nice few snakes, then you may as well pool some dosh away and slowly build a stack as well.
My stack cost me 60 quid to build, if I had done it properly or taken some time over it instead of rushing then it'd probably look a lot better than it does.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Thante
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:44:33  Show Profile  Visit Thante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think its possible, but very dependant on the snake. You may find that you have a collection of 10 and only 3 would be all right with it, but for the rest it stresses them out. I know that my normal corn cherry would be fine, probably wouldn't even notice that something was different :P However my caramel, although more striking to look at, would hate it. It took him almost 2 month to start coming out of his hid in the RUB he's in now.

If you really wanted to do it i would spend alot of time getting to know your snakes first, then select only the calmest and most confidant to move around alot.

0.1.0 Cherry - 09 Normal
1.0.0 Tequila - 09 Caramel Motley
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  12:02:29  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks for the feedback everyone. I appreciate all your thoughts. :) Like I said, it would be a long way off anyway! Need to see how my relationship with Pandora works out before I even think about adding another one! lol

Will be feeding her for the first time later today. Well, MY first time. The shop said she loves her food so hopefully she'll take it no probs... :)

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  19:26:26  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck with Pandora's feed, let us know how it goes.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  01:11:51  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2 pinkies straight down, and now hiding away to digest for a couple of days. :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000