Sneezing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  18:46:22  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got my corn snake out today and she sneezed every minute or 2 over about 10 minutes. I came back a bit later and she sneezed 3 or 4 times over 15 minutes although not quite so loudly (her muscles didn't contract on these ones too).

I've checked the humidity of the viv and its currently on 41%, the hot end usually ranges from 25-27 degrees and the cold end has been about 20-22 degrees (although went up to 25 the other day when it was quite hot).

I've had her on aspen bedding for quite some time, although cleaned her out last week and used the last of the aspen which had a fair bit of dust in the bottom of the bag. I shook it all out before putting in her viv so the stuff in with her isn't any more dusty than aspen normally is.

I've now taken all of this aspen out and hoovered up the bottom of the viv to make sure theres no dust at all and put down newspaper instead.

Is there anything else you guys think I should do? I'm going to keep an eye on her and if she's still sneezing tomorrow I'll book a vets appointment.

What other substrate would you guys recommend?

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi

crease83
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  20:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am no expert but mine was doing this the other day and after looking up some posts on sneezing/wheezing I turned the temp up a little so it was at 30 degrees cleaned him out and left him for a few days. Had him out today and he has not done it again.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  21:06:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as already suggested turn the temps up, to 30-32*C, try misting twice a day as a temporary increase in humidity can help any mucous to drain.

if you can get hold of any F10 disinfectant use that for misting or nebulizing

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  23:21:17  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information, I've put the temperature up now and given her a misting.

Moneys a bit tight this month but do you think it would be wise to go to a vet or just wait and see if she improves?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  09:39:22  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a straight-forward RI can be successfully treated at home, but a severe or persistant case would definitely need a vet and antibiotics, possibly a tracheal wash/swab, lab fees, more specific meds etc etc

and keep us posted

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  15:00:01  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help and info. Got her out for about 15 minutes today and haven't heard a single sneeze, will check on her again in a bit but it looks like its gone away already :)

I'm going to presume it was the aspen that caused it so will keep my eyes open for a different substrate. Although saying that, the aspen my local pet shop sells seems to be much less dusty than the rubbish they have in pets at home!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  15:15:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that's good
i'd keep the temps on the high side for another day or 2 to be on the safe side though

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000