New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mole
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  22:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, we have Striker who we are not sure of the sex. Have just read on another post about sexing snakes using scale count from a shed, Striker has recently shed and this was intact so could count scales if pointed in the right direction and number please help if possible would be interesting to have an idea ta

1.0.0 corn snake Striker
1.0.0 dog Merlo
0.1.0 rabbit Sparkle
0.2.0 Cats Skid and Whizz

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  22:23:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.dksnakes.co.uk/a_beginners_guide_to_safe_ways_o.htm

it's worth a try......though most fall in the big gray area of 'maybe male or female' lol

good luck and let us know how you get on

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Mole
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  12:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it seems official, read the link and i must say what a giggle that bloke is laughed my sox off reading his method/s. Did opt for the traditional scale count one tho, and Striker has at least 144 which makes him a male, didnt count the extra 8 which were scrunched up just under the bum bit so add them on and its over 150, so there you are, just all I need now is for him to lay some dud eggs to prove all of us wrong lol ta gp for the info

1.0.0 corn snake Striker
1.0.0 dog Merlo
0.1.0 rabbit Sparkle
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  12:52:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i must admit it's not something i've ever done, next time something sheds i might test this method (as i already know the sexes of all of mine) just for a giggle

in theory it should work as males generally have longer tails than females so it seems obvious they should have a higher scale count
i think some members on here tried it years ago and everything was in the inbetween bit -the 'could be either sex' scale count

and yes, the author does seem to have a GSOH

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  19:44:03  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh i counted Tikos and they were 136! grr.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  19:53:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hmmm.........136 is in that big black hole of 'maybe'...............lol

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  21:06:13  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know! I got really excited that i might find out too! oh well, back to assumption he is a boy!
Go to Top of Page

Thante
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  21:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Thante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Think i might try this as well. Tequila's tail looks longer, even though he is smaller.

0.1.0 Cherry - 09 Normal
1.0.0 Tequila - 09 Caramel Motley
Go to Top of Page

Mole
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  22:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha! bit of a nightmare lucy, but for once I was lucky, you all need to read the link that gp posted the bloke is a right giggle

1.0.0 corn snake Striker
1.0.0 dog Merlo
0.1.0 rabbit Sparkle
Go to Top of Page

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  23:29:34  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lmao he's a right nutter,does this scale count method only apply to adult corns
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  08:13:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no not just adults, but the figures he quotes are just for corns
hatchies scales are much much smaller though and will be pretty difficult to count though the author does suggest scanning the shed skin then enlarging the picture

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000