New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hammer
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  19:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi can anyone give me some advice on introducing a mate to my 4yr old male corn....would i be able to raise a young female now to introduce her in a couple of years ???
Thanks in advance.....

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  21:17:33  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there's certainly nothing wrong with getting a young female, housing her seperately, then introducing her to your male when she's breeding age/size/weight

we've got a few females we're growing on having sold most of our adult breeding stock

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Hammer
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  09:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats cool is there any maximun age or minimum age i believe around 2 or 3 years old for a demale is good. Do you introduce as any other animal. slowly over a period of time...also can you keep more than two snakes together...thanks for your advice by the way.
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

there's certainly nothing wrong with getting a young female, housing her seperately, then introducing her to your male when she's breeding age/size/weight

we've got a few females we're growing on having sold most of our adult breeding stock

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  12:59:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for corns if you follow the rule of 3 you won't go far wrong - female being 3ft long, 300g and 3 years old (as a minimum)

for breeding i introduce the male to the female's enclosure and keep an eye on them both.
there's a whole thread on here about cohabiting that's very worth a read!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Hammer
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  15:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  18:58:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hammer, Gp's posts are spot on. Dont bother with Co habitting, its more agro than its worth, not to mention the fact that you would need to have a separate setup available if there are issues, so you may aswell just use them both from the start.
There are plenty of threads with a lot of info about general breeding, just have a search, you will find everything you need to know!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000