New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2011 :  17:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of expanding my reptile collection from 1 to lots more than 1 It'll be quite slow 'cause I have to organise vivs etc for them but we're thinking of getting crested geckos, leos and a beardie. I've been looking around on the various forums for advice / care sheets etc but there doesn't seem to be an idiots guide to cresties out there. I can find lots of info for the other two, but don't want to get it wrong for cresties!

My house is fairly warm (19-23 degrees) all year round. Would this be warm enough for cresties or would I need an additional heat source for them? Temp recommendations I've seen are not below 15 and not above 27.

Just wanted to check with someone who actually owns them 'cause I've read enough dodgy corn care sheets out there to be wary!

0.0.1 Amel (Omari)
1.1 Leopard Geckos (Tychondrious and Cleopatra)
0.2 Chocolate Labs (Millie and Lucy) 0.1 Weimaraner (Suzi)
1.0 Cat (Thomas)
2.1 Children plus 1.0 squatting nephew
no more Bovines
and 1.0 husband!

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2011 :  19:53:30  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Kat,

Ive had cresties for about 5months now, and so far they have been fair easy to care for. We bought 3 babies, and put them together in a exo terra 45x45x45. As far as i know they can be kept at room temp (22-24), but its quite cold in our house so I have a heat mat on one side of the tank at 26. I feed mine with a Komodo complete diet mixed with Zoo Med fruit, but you will probably use crickets.

The only problem we have had is the largest of the three was a bit of a bully, throughout the night he made quite a lot of noise and we discovred that he was attacking the others, so we have one without a tail and one with half a tail. So we have put him in his own slightly smaller tank, and they all seem to be doing well now. Obvioiusly they came un-sexed, so we assume the bully is a male, still unsure on the others, so will have to wait till they are bigger, (a bulge develops at the base of the tail, if its a male.)

Subsrate doesnt really matter, they dont spend much time on the floor, so we used reptile carpet at first, but we use whatever I buy for the snake now, and i plan to get some sort of soil in the future. We have slowly been adding more stuff to the tanks, sticks, exo terra plants, logs, hides and vines.

As for humidity we spray the tank a few times in a evening, this is also good because they like to drink water droplets rather than use there water bowl.

If theres anything ive missed ill try and help. I definately recomend them there not really much bother.

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

Kat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2011 :  21:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Callazagy I was planning to get 3 as well so I'll keep an eye on them for bullying. I've a few fauns around from hatchlings so easy enough to split out if I have to.

0.0.1 Amel (Omari)
1.0 Cat (Thomas)
no more Bovines
and 1.0 husband!
Go to Top of Page

Kat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2011 :  11:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well today I went round all the local pet shops that do reps and got to play with a beardie and a pair of leos. I think the leos will be the next purchase 'cause they seem to need a set-up fairly close to a corn wrt temps, stats, viv, mats etc, and I'm familiar with how to do that. The beardie is gorgeous but he's 7 months old so needs more space than I have this week. In a few weeks I'll be in a position to put in something bigger so I just hope he's still there 'cause he's a cheeky little sod! My original idea for beardie housing won't work so I'll just have to put more corns in that and get a separate beardie house. Have the perfect place for it as well - under the stairs into the attic is just about 6' long so a 4' x 2' x 2' would fit in nicely.

Very taken with the leo pair - extremely friendly little lizards.

0.0.1 Amel (Omari)
1.0 Cat (Thomas)
no more Bovines
and 1.0 husband!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000