Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

willow
Banned

21 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  23:19:26  Show Profile
hiya everyone, i am a bit worried about my Albino corn snake we have just recently moved house and Al the albino has a new tank much bigger than the one he was in, but since before w moved he has been off his food i am getting a bit worried as he has not eaten for going on 3 weeks now, i keep putting mice in and have tried different techniques but he just turns his nose up at them.

I am considering looking for a vet if hes not eaten by sunday im getting really worried and dont know what else to do, t first i put it down to stress but we been in he new house nearly 2 weeks, i think it could be the mating time, i have a female corn snake above him and hes always climbing to the top so maybe thats it?

thanks for any replies peeps:)

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  23:27:42  Show Profile
How much bigger is the tank and how much foliage and hides does he have?

They don't like too big a space.

Also review your temperatures, it can't hurt to check.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  08:57:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
and tbh 3 weeks is nothing, especially this time of year, i certainly wouldn't rush to a vet unless there's anything else you're worried about
as lotabob says, review your husbandry first

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

willow
Banned

21 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  22:18:01  Show Profile
its a little bit bigger but not much he has plenty of space to hide could be the mating time as both the younger and older one want to try and get out the tank he could be shedding tho as had him out today and his tummy didnt feel as smooth as it usually is got one more technique to try then im out of ideas the old tank he was kind of cramped in but this one has much bigger space i think its a 2ft by 4 ft tank we measured him today hes 2.5ft not sure on wieght tho, but hey if he can go missing for 4 months and still live i kind of have faith lol but dont stop me from worrying
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  08:20:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
a 4 foot viv is mahooosive for that size snake, 2ft + 4ft = 6ft so it's suitable for a 6ft corn!!!

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  08:40:42  Show Profile
Maybe you could try putting Al into a RUB and putting that into the 4 ft tank until he is a little bigger. My 2ft snakes have just moved into a 2ft x 18" viv and that has certainly made them very unsure of things. I would think Al must be feeling insecure at the monent.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  09:10:53  Show Profile
Its definitely worth putting him in a smaller enclosure or partitioning the viv..
My largest corn is around the 2 foot mark,maybe a little more and he's in one half of a divided 3 foot viv which means he only has 3 foot worth of length. He's got plenty of room still and is secure.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  12:27:01  Show Profile
A 4 foot by 2 foot vivarium is suitable for a 6 foot snake, I am getting a Boa that will be quite happy in that vivarium when fully grown but your little guy would be much happier in a smaller space, Spot my corn is in a 2 foot viv and this is probably too big for him but he has always been in a viv and perfectly happy so no point changing but I wouldn't upgrade him to a 3 footer until he is about 3.5-4 feet long.
A trip to a DIY store with measurements for a divide is probably the best bet, then you can slide it over as he grows (or even better divide it for 2 snakes).
Its highly likely that the amount of space is frightening Al and because their is a huge distance for him to cross between the hot end and the cold end he is not thermoregulating himself very well and for that reason he then cant eat.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  22:03:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
good answer lotabob much more eloquent and informative than mine lol

Go to Top of Page

willow
Banned

21 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  17:12:48  Show Profile
just had it confirmed by hubby its a 24 x 18 tank is that too big hes got his hidey hole and his water and got soem greenery but still cant understand why hes not eating
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  20:21:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
is it a tank as in glass? if so ideally cover 3 sides with something - newspaper, aquarium background, wrapping paper......
it's still certainly a more than adequate size, though if you provide enough cover/decor he should feel safe, and i mean really pack it out lol even if that means putting some loosely screwed up balls od newspaper in for him to hide under and move around
what are your temps in the viv and how are you controlling the heat? this can have an impact on feeding
i'd also knock handling on the head till he's taken at least 3 consecutive feeds.....

Go to Top of Page

willow
Banned

21 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  08:36:40  Show Profile
yes its a glass tank with three sides he can see through hes quite happy being handled and the temp is controlled by a heat mat, hes been fine with that before and hes been in tanks where he has had all sides see through so cant understand why hes not liking this one, the other corn snake the female on she has the smaller tank as she is bit smaller and she has all sides not covered and shes eating fine and shedding fine
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  09:10:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by willow

yes its a glass tank with three sides he can see through hes quite happy being handled

the fact that he's gone off his food indicates he's NOT happy about something, and there's LOTS of things you can do to improve his environmentIF you'll listen to the advice that YOU originally asked for.....
quote:

the temp is controlled by a heat mat

so your heat SOURCE is a mat that is uncontrolled and could go up to unsafe temperatures or fluctuate wildly........and of course THAT won't have any impact on him feeding......

Go to Top of Page

willow
Banned

21 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  09:33:28  Show Profile
problem solved hehe his light was too bright for him and hes shed all in one piece hes rearranged his viv himself to how he likes it and i do keep an eye on temp to make sure its not too warm or too cold and i am investing in a different type of heat source for him
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  09:40:11  Show Profile
So do you have a thermostat for the hetmat now? How are you keeping an eye on the temps? Digital thermometer? Heatmats are fine for corn snakes but they need to be statted!
Go to Top of Page

willow
Banned

21 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2011 :  20:23:43  Show Profile
i dont have a digital thermo i have a plastic one that cost me about a tenner and i also have something in there that keeps a eye on the humidity
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2011 :  21:12:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
the humidity gauge is a 'hygrometer', as corns are fine at normal UK humidity it's not something you have to worry about or even monitor if you don't want to. i only use a hygrometer in our incubator and in the day geckos viv as they're a tropical species requiring high humidity

Go to Top of Page

willow
Banned

21 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  05:42:11  Show Profile
moved him into the smaller tank and turned his light off as found out albinos eyes are more sensetive then normal snakes and hes eating and pooing fine now the female has gone in the bigger tank as she is bigger and shes fine aswell so problem sorted all round hehe al was agrophobic :)
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  08:18:16  Show Profile
quote:

i dont have a digital thermo i have a plastic one that cost me about a tenner and i also have something in there that keeps a eye on the humidity

So no thermostat?
Go to Top of Page

willow
Banned

21 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  17:59:59  Show Profile
So no thermostat? - no he has never had one from what i can gather he came with all the stuff he has had since he was born so not gonna change it now it will be too confusing for him hes pooing hes active hes shed hes bug free so i know hes healthy
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  18:40:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:

not gonna change it now it will be too confusing for him

this is a joke? right? it must be?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page