4334 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  19:11:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by willow

not gonna change it now it will be too confusing for him

this is a joke? right? it must be?

Wow! Willow, you MUST MUST MUST have your heat source controlled! Just because he has never had a stat doesn't mean its not needed, all it means is your snake has been incredibly lucky. ALL heat sources on the market will without doubt run hotter than the maximum temperature required by a corn snake (in fact most of the heat sources I've come accross are too hot for my python who requires much hotter temperatures). They cost anything upto £25 for a basis thermostat and its a small price to pay to prevent your snake getting burnt or in the worst case scenario, killed.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  19:29:45  Show Profile
As above. It really is essential you get his mat controlled by a thermostat.
Having his heat controlled by thermostat will not confuse your snake,but it may very well save him from getting burnt or worse in the future.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  20:02:27  Show Profile
quote:

So no thermostat? - no he has never had one from what i can gather he came with all the stuff he has had since he was born so not gonna change it now it will be too confusing for him hes pooing hes active hes shed hes bug free so i know hes healthy

Great idea.

Might want to search google images 'heat mat burn on snake' you will find a few nasty images there plus images of heatmats that have got so hot, they melted!

If your happy to risk that then fair enough.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  21:55:52  Show Profile
quote:

So no thermostat? - no he has never had one from what i can gather he came with all the stuff he has had since he was born so not gonna change it now it will be too confusing for him hes pooing hes active hes shed hes bug free so i know hes healthy

So, you are going to ignore a page full of people telling you that you should have a thermostat, you dont think that its important? you think that people are telling you this for fun?

Moron.

Go to Top of Page

daveono1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  23:35:16  Show Profile
this topic has developed into a rather nasty one and there is no need to call people morons etc. This is supposed to be constructive and although I agree with all the comments you can't just go around insulting people. I joined this forum as i was told it's a friendly place to ask for advise, not to be slated by people who know better. Willow you have heard the advice and a stat is essential for the snake to be in good health. I thoroughly recommend you purchase one asap and turn the heat mat off until you have as this will be better than leaving it on all the time. I would also recommend buying a digital thermometer with a probe so you can monitor and take accurate readings of the temp for you snakey. Without these your cornsnake will not last long and will not be living the happiest life it could or that you could provide for it. I also think that when people recommend or give you suggestions on her that you listen and take in what they are saying as they always think of the snake 1st which is what you have to do as a responsible pet owner. This forum has helped me loads with my snakes and it's always best to listen because a lot of these people have much more experience with corns.

0.2.0 Corns - Maverick and Cookie

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  08:35:07  Show Profile
Hi willow obviously you are a conscientious snake keeper or you wouldn't have worried about Al not eating in the first place but as people have said a thermostat is a must if you want to prevent this
As far as adding a thermostat to your setup being too confusing for your corns, don’t worry I’ve always found that corn snakes understanding of electronics and thermistors to be sketchy at best As I'm sure you can understand there are keepers on here that have years of experience under their belts, and can get a little exasperated when advice is brushed over, but again it is only advice it is up to all keepers individually as to whether they take it. But surely the above is something none of us want to see.

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  11:30:25  Show Profile
Not being nasty, the dictionary definition of moron is

–noun
1. a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.

Fits perfectly.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  14:11:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ok..........the OP has asked for advice, been given LOTS of good, practical, relevant advice, then flaunted that they're going to ignore it RISKING THE HEALTH OF THEIR SNAKE.

TOPIC LOCKED.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000