who'da thought it
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  16:33:48  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
well........thats it, im in love lol

went to the reptile store in serbeton to get some fuzzies, and there was a green tree python there, got chatting to the assistant, as ya do

held him, never known such a placid chap. and have fallen head over heals in love with GTP, she is breeding him this year, female coming in next cpl of weeks

have reserved a hatchy already........he is stunning!!
everyone says GTP dont liked to be handled, but this chap was just so chilled out and relaxed about it all.......amazing

so, although i said id never get a pyton or boa.........i eat my words lol

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  16:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sure it was a GTP? lol Never thought i'd read placid and GTP in the same sentence!

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  17:12:23  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
gtp...placid?....mmmmmmm maybe but very very unlikley...congrats on new arrival though :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  17:58:17  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
havent got one yet lol

and yep GTP, very very very placid......so chilled out, i massaged him with some shedding oil as he was a bit flaky....and well.....loved every bit of it
think its cuz he was handled lots as a hatchy.......but yep, am in love lol

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  20:05:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
generally they're considered a 'display species'.....don't bank on a hatchie being as tame as dad!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  21:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not surprised you've fallen in love,they are stunning snakes.
Not the easiest to look after though and I must admit I've never heard of a placid one.
They've got one hell of a set of teeth on them too lol!
I'm not trying to put you off by the way lol. Good luck with your future snake,at least you've plenty of time to do your research and get everything set up right.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  22:21:12  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
oh yeah mort.........going to do all the research etc

and yeah not expecting miricals straight away.......and yeah i know for the first year no touching

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  01:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to give you an idea, a friend of mine had a young one, stunning as you would expect, i had it out for 5 mins as you do, and the thing hit me 5 times before i could do anything, they are faster than fast, you wont even know it has moved, the only thing you notice it a lot of holes in your hand, and fairly substantial leakage of blood.
Really dont expect to be able to handle it, at all, certainly not without getting bitten, a lot.
They are generally considered to be one of the most difficult snakes to keep alive, they stress very easily, and they die at the drop of a hat!!
i am not saying dont get one, they are lovely to have, but they are hard work. Its a lot of a work for a snake that you cant really handle.
As an adult, they are stunning, their colours change as they mature, and being primarily arboreal, they do tend to feed on birds in the wild, thats why they have such big teeth, to be able to get through the feathers, and their speed of strike is for the same reason, they catch birds as they pass!!!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  07:09:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and don't forget their reach! they can tag you from what you'd normally consider a 'safe' distance!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  09:26:09  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
end of the day, if i want to cuddle a snake, i got my corn and my king
i know they are pretty much ornimental snakes, but are gorgeous

and its not like im new to snake keeping, and going to do lots of research before i purchase one

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  09:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's simple things like putting your hand in to change the water that would scare the poo out of me! My king can be a bit funny when I put my hand in the rub but I can handle it if he tags me, not sure I could with a GTP lol
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  22:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bet you're so excited! Looking forward to pics of the hatchie!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  23:25:30  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
the ppl ive been talking to who are breeding them, say they have just mated, so going to leave it a few months till hatchie is eating etc
will give me time to get the set up right, and yeah i know that they cant be handled for the first year, but i got my other two tareaways to fuss over lol

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

andrew.1994
Egg

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  12:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e-NW0XenWk&feature=relmfu
This guy has ETB's and GTP's that are extremely tame so jelouse

1.0.0 Anery Motley Het Hypo Corn Snake
0.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake
2.2.0 Budgies
0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa
1.0.0 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  13:40:39  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yep, totally in love with them, as the guy on the vid says, its how you work with them, as to how tame or snappy they can be. cant wait to start my set up to get my baby later this year lol

thanks for the link andrew......

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic