Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Minerva
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  21:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!

I know i'm going to sound ridiculously stupid now but hey, you dont learn anything unless you say you know nothing!

I am a very keen animal lover and have always wanted a snake. A friend of mine advertised her corn snake on facebook the other day as needing to be rehomed due to her not having the time/commitment anymore so I jusmped at the chance!

She said it came with its home and everything so I eagerly went to collect it yesterday, only to find it in a plastic box like the ones people store their rubbish in the attic and its hiding place is a small clear ice cream tub. There is a heat mat but not regulated and no thermostat at all!

She cant remember if it is 3 or 4 years old, has never got it sexed so doesnt know if its male or female.

Now I am the first to say I know nothing about caring for a snake but I did know that this seemed a bit strange!

I have already been to buy a new hideout and ordered a vivarium for it. I'll go out tomorrow and buy a second hideout and a thermostat now that I have read all the good advice on here on how to care for it etc! Much appreciated!!

I have left it alone since getting it home as I figured it would have been stressed by the move and am just curious as to whether it is best to get it straight into its new vivarium or wait until a few days have passed and let it settle in first?

Is there any other immediate advice anyone can offer someone that may not know a thing but is clever enough to know that!

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  21:53:14  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum :)
i'd personaly turn the heatmat off and get a thermostat asap just to make sure no accidents happen.
also plastic storage boxes are fine for snakes as long as there the right size and well ventalated

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  22:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome,

you will have to seal the viv first with an aquarium sealant or similar then wait a couple of days then put your snake into its new home.

Edited by - gmac on 08/03/2011 22:10:51
Go to Top of Page

sparkaly
Hatchling

212 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  22:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and Welcome

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  22:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum
Go to Top of Page

catwig
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  00:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya and welcome
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  09:43:22  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome :)

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  14:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  14:37:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  00:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Minerva
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  22:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys,

I bought a thermostat and thermometer, I also got some new sustrate as the guy in the shop said that what I was given isnt the right thing.

I got it a bigger water bowl that it can bath in if it feels the need! It seems to be a lot happier now, having a good nose about, found its way to his new hideout etc. Compared to spending the last few days hidden away in his Ice Cream tub i'm really pleased!

The Vivarium isnt ready yet which is a shame! But hopefully it will be ready to collect over the weekend :-)
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  00:47:21  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Welcome to the forum.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000