New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

N47han
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  20:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all new member, i have recently well 5 weeks ago purchased my very first corn snake from my local pet shop, i had a vivarium set up and waiting for him to return to. i recieved him in a small rub box which i then placed within the viv. after leaving him to settle for a week i handled him and he wasnt bothered by it at all, after 10 days i returned home from work to an empty viv and mr snakey (colin) wasnt in his rub box i was distrough and panicking. i used hints and tips from this site, Thanks for all your advice and he returned to a bottle trap after around 9 days, i feel so lucky to have had him back. but since he has been back almost 2 weeks he seems very agressive and trys to strike at me when i change his water and spot clean is there anyway to help calm him down or will he come to his senses and stop biting the hand that feeds ???
Thanks for all your help so far i have found this website really helpfull.

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:09:17  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you some advice and put your mind at rest :)

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant you got him back. You would have to consider the capture and putting back into a vivarium a stressful process so time and patience is about the only advice. Is he is the vivarium as a small hatchling might find such a big space stressful too.

Under normal circumstances ignoring the escape, hatchlings are well known for been a little bit unpredictable, they soon calm down though so don't be put off and just handle regularly but for only 5-10 minutes. And it goes without saying (and probabaly pointless saying it too as you'll have this well sorted) escape proof your cage.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  22:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow you're so lucky to find him,thats brill.
He's probably just stressed out. In the space of 2 months the little fella has had a new home,escaped and been through God knows what and now very luckily has been found and is back in his home again.
I'm sure that with time he'll settle down. It sounds like you've done your research and have been taking care of him well.
Some people recommend putting an item of clothing such as a sock (obviously closely woven material) in your top for the day so it smells of you and then putting it in the snakes RUB/viv so it starts to associate your smell with safety.
Not done it myself but others have and have had positive results. Aside from that its just a case of giving him time to feel safe again.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

N47han
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  07:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks guy i will try give him more time to settle and if that doesn't work i will try the sock technique.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000