whats your opinions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  18:02:08  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you have a back garden, would u build a play pen for your snakes to roam in them while your in the garden, the pen would obviously be built with walls and a concrete floor.

so would u let your snakes roam in your garden if you had somewhere to put them while you were out in the garden in the summer

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  18:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nope, they get all they need in their vivs, also risk of bugs and the likes they dont need the stress added.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  18:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I wouldn't do it.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  18:24:00  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lol no. If they escape ion the garden, they are like gone forever.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  18:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live by the river and get heron's and other huge birdy-beasties hanging around. I'd worry about one swooping off with one of mine before you had time to blink. I would consider maybe on a hot afternoon been handled on my balcony but letting go of them is asking for trouble.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  18:57:13  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
if thats what you wanna have 'for the summer' get a rabbit instead of a snake

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  19:06:35  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, I'd consider it. It wouldn't even need a concrete floor. The hard part would be making it escape proof and predator proof.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  20:18:55  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
its pretty simple eeji, fish pond netting on top to stop airborn predators and build a wall to stop escapes, the concrete floor is just to stop the snakes burrowing
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  23:23:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Fish pond netting would allow most snakes through.
Any netting with the mesh holes smaller than about 8-10mm will (imo) be just a fun way to escape.
I don't see whats wrong with just bringing them into the garden for 5-10 mins and not letting them get more than a couple inches away.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  23:27:14  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im just asking for peoples opinions as im quite curious to what people would do, also the netting is only to stop birds from getting to the snake
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  23:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The idea is sound in some ways, but will be harder to implement.
You'd need something that would be well ventilated, yet is escape proof.

Very few things are like that.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  23:51:29  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thas very true, i was thinking alittle while ago about a childs sand box, the wooden ones, if u can get a wire mesh (like the lamp guards) to put on top of it, it would probably work quite well
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  00:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may not suffer from Herons where you live but they are a formidable beast. A meter tall with a massive beak. I've heard of them destroying pond netting before helping themself to the whole ponds worth of fish. Not sure if they'd take a snake but I don't see why they wouldn't. There are lots of larger birds including gulls, they will take and eat anything given even half a chance. I wouldn't be comfortable with anything short of taking a lidded glass aquarium outside if they were not in my hands, even then with gulls I'd still keep my guard up.

But i cant wait to sit on the balcony on an evening with a beer and a snake. Bliss.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 08/03/2011 00:04:11
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  09:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be too on edge to put mine in any type of enclosure outdoors.
I'd be worrying about escapes and bugs/parasites.
Can't wait to get some decent weather though and get some photos of them in natural sunlight,while thy are being held that is.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

MacSpud
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  13:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could make or buy something like this?
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/explorarium.php

1.0.0 Beaker (10-8-09 amel)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  18:08:07  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how secure are flexariums?

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  18:27:19  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They are highly recommended for Chameleons, so I'd assume pretty secure?

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  18:41:51  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

I'd be too on edge to put mine in any type of enclosure outdoors.
I'd be worrying about escapes and bugs/parasites.
Can't wait to get some decent weather though and get some photos of them in natural sunlight,while thy are being held that is.

I can't either they look so lovely in the sun!

It wouldn't keep a cat out though or a dog... well it might keep them out but because of how they are made, the snake could still be killed by them :/ the only secure thing I can think of is a rub but that would beg the question of why does the snake need to go outside anyway.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000