Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

esox
Egg

84 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  10:03:04  Show Profile
I take it he is about to go into shed.

should i make a moss hide for him? i have some frozen moss in the freezer, should I do this straight away or wait for a certain time? the moss was pretty damp when i froze, will i need to add more water, or will it be fne as it is?

any other advice would be great as this is his first shed with me. and I want to try and get it right.

very excited

thanks

corn, anery, fred

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  10:13:55  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
yeah put one in now, best thing to do with the moss is put it in a bowl an pour hot water over let if fully defrost the sqqueeze the excess water out

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

esox
Egg

84 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  10:17:49  Show Profile
how is a good way to make a moss hide or can i just use his exo terra hide?

corn, anery, fred
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  10:36:43  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
i use a clear tuplewear box with a hole in the end, so there is plenty of room for loads of moss an snake. you could use ya exoterra but would depend on how big snake is and what substrate ya use

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

esox
Egg

84 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  10:40:53  Show Profile
just made a tupperware box like you said, looks ideal, lets just hope the bugger will go in it! might take the exo terra cave out for now so he has to use this.

corn, anery, fred
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  10:45:50  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
i take my cool end hide out an put moss hide there. an tbh my corn loves it shes straight in there an even once shes shed shes back in there i have to get her back out to remove it

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

esox
Egg

84 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  11:24:51  Show Profile
going to leave him for an hour and check on him, hopefully he will be in there.

cheers fella for the advice.

corn, anery, fred
Go to Top of Page

esox
Egg

84 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  16:19:17  Show Profile
bugger still hasnt gone in, he's staying put in his warm hide, hopefully he will move over later.

corn, anery, fred
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  16:48:59  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
he will at some point dont worry

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  16:54:08  Show Profile
i read an interesting article earlier, made complete sense.
once the snake is blue, the skin is separated, its dead, and completely waterproof!
Misting whilst the snake is blue is kinda like watering a dead plant, too little too late.
If your setup is correct, and humidity right, then you have no need to mist, or give a damp hide.

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  18:36:20  Show Profile
when the snake is in blue, that is when a secretion is made to seperate the dead skin from the body, which gives the eyes that blue look, because of that secretion

and that the skin is completely seperated from the head and body when the eyes clear and ready fr the snake to make a break in it and pull/squeeze out of it .

otherwise, if it is seperated completely when IN blue, then ideally there eyes would be blue until their head breaks free from the skin

but do agree, that it is too late to mist, and use moss, and that dead skin is still waterproof as it is still "sealed"

best way to prepare is obviously as mike said, have your humidity and temps correct, but keep a chart of sheds etc

and after a few sheds you should notice a pattern, or behaviour changes, which would indicate snakey is about to go blue. and thus pop in your moss box then - just before blue

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

i read an interesting article earlier, made complete sense.
once the snake is blue, the skin is separated, its dead, and completely waterproof!
Misting whilst the snake is blue is kinda like watering a dead plant, too little too late.
If your setup is correct, and humidity right, then you have no need to mist, or give a damp hide.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  18:37:30  Show Profile
I dont use moss boxes for any of my corns.

Never had any shed problems.
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  18:38:26  Show Profile
i don't either, and the anery i had before passing it on shed completely head to tip of tail

i think its just advised by some if your corn is having shedding issues, but then the habitat should be looked at such as temperatures etc

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

I dont use moss boxes for any of my corns.

Never had any shed problems.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  22:53:32  Show Profile
See I am of the opinion and can be corrected if I'm wrong that the skin once dead ie once the skin goes cloudy which is the skin seperating from the new skin underneath as CentricMalteser said once that secretion process is over the dead skin will dry out and cause a bad shed as it is brittle. The humidity is to help keep that layer moist enough to still have a small amount of flexability while they shed. All skin is to an extent water resistant but not totally sealed so humidity does help but like Mike says too, if your humidity is correct the skin is already hydrated so has retained moisture once it seperates. So to summarise, moss boxes etc will help but not to any massive extent and the best way to aid a shed is to keep the snake in ideal conditions 100% of the time.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  01:30:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

See I am of the opinion and can be corrected if I'm wrong that the skin once dead ie once the skin goes cloudy which is the skin seperating from the new skin underneath as CentricMalteser said once that secretion process is over the dead skin will dry out and cause a bad shed as it is brittle. The humidity is to help keep that layer moist enough to still have a small amount of flexability while they shed. All skin is to an extent water resistant but not totally sealed so humidity does help but like Mike says too, if your humidity is correct the skin is already hydrated so has retained moisture once it seperates. So to summarise, moss boxes etc will help but not to any massive extent and the best way to aid a shed is to keep the snake in ideal conditions 100% of the time.

I am not entirely sure as to why bad sheds happen, but, once the skin is dead, when the process has started, its incapable of retaining, or absorbing moisture, try it, the next shed you get, see if you can get any water to pass through it, i havent tried it yet.
The blue is not the skin separating as such, its a fluid that is secreted between the layers of skin, i think thats what you mean, but i thought i would point it out anyway.
there are many things that can have an effect on how well the snake shed its skin, obviously its environment, stress is a big one, it upsets the bodies natural balance, and as such, a lot of normally standard processes are not done properly.
dont forget though, if you have a busy viv, then you are more likely to have what appears to be a 'bad shed', when in reality, there is so much stuff in there, that the snake has not managed to do it without catching it and tearing it.
A real bad shed basically looks like the skin exploded off the snake, my big boa was awesome at doing that!!!
the thing is, if you have a correct setup, with the right temps and humidity, then you do not need a damp hide at all.
i am fairly certain that in the wild, a damp hide doesnt appear when they are about to shed.
Get the habitat right, you wont have any issues.
in 23 years, i have never had to give a damp hide to a corn.

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  03:29:40  Show Profile
Mike, that is what I meant,

basically, when snake in blue, that is the secretion of fluid seperating the dead skin from new skin,

when comes out of blue, thats when that secretion has stopped and dried up and thats when the dead skin is seperate from the new skin

thats when the dead skin does become brittle so a rough edge catching on, pulls it away etc

, so im glad we all agree on something at last lol

skin is very water repellant and waterproof, however, because the skin is dry and brittle, microscopically, because the snake is too big for its dead skin, there are microscopic tears, so for instance if soasked in water prior to snakey breaking free, you would in fact be able to start peeling it back (like you would on the tail), and NO I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS! lol

where as a light misting, or a moss box, would not have this effect as the dead skin is not submerged into complete water, and therefore would very highly unlikely help with a shed

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I am not entirely sure as to why bad sheds happen, but, once the skin is dead, when the process has started, its incapable of retaining, or absorbing moisture, try it, the next shed you get, see if you can get any water to pass through it, i havent tried it yet.
The blue is not the skin separating as such, its a fluid that is secreted between the layers of skin, i think thats what you mean, but i thought i would point it out anyway.
there are many things that can have an effect on how well the snake shed its skin, obviously its environment, stress is a big one, it upsets the bodies natural balance, and as such, a lot of normally standard processes are not done properly.
dont forget though, if you have a busy viv, then you are more likely to have what appears to be a 'bad shed', when in reality, there is so much stuff in there, that the snake has not managed to do it without catching it and tearing it.
A real bad shed basically looks like the skin exploded off the snake, my big boa was awesome at doing that!!!
the thing is, if you have a correct setup, with the right temps and humidity, then you do not need a damp hide at all.
i am fairly certain that in the wild, a damp hide doesnt appear when they are about to shed.
Get the habitat right, you wont have any issues.
in 23 years, i have never had to give a damp hide to a corn.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  03:58:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser

M
skin is very water repellant and waterproof, however, because the skin is dry and brittle, microscopically, because the snake is too big for its dead skin, there are microscopic tears, so for instance if soasked in water prior to snakey breaking free, you would in fact be able to start peeling it back (like you would on the tail), and NO I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS! lol

where as a light misting, or a moss box, would not have this effect as the dead skin is not submerged into complete water, and therefore would very highly unlikely help with a shed

you never ever peel back a snakes tail that has been retained even after soaking.

The moss box is to raise humidity to allow the snake to shed itself without intervention, that may well stress it by taking a partially sighted, possibly jumpy and defensive snake and submerging it in water, and to say the moss box is unlikely to help is really quite short sighted and naive. The moss hide has more than proven itself to work.

Edited by - gmac on 06/03/2011 03:59:57
Go to Top of Page

esox
Egg

84 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  08:01:19  Show Profile
I do not have the knowledge of you guys, im a total amateur but mr snake has finaly gone into the hide this morning,

temps i think are fine

28/29 in the warm end and 19 in the cool end.

I cant see him but he must be in there as I have looked elsewhere and doubt he has escaped, hope he is enjoying himself.

corn, anery, fred
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  09:26:33  Show Profile
Hey,good luck with the shed. Hope you get to see him do it.
Its so nerve racking the first time. I'm sure he'll do fab and make you proud.
I've never used a moist hide with mine and they've both shed fine,I knew they'd shed previous to me having them with no help though.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  14:02:01  Show Profile
I worded it wrong, so shoot me, I don't peel it back, but I said it as quicker than saying "soask snakeys tail in the water and let him slide thorugh yours hands or a towelthat you are holiding"!!!!

and im sure everyone knew what i meant, so stop being padantic

and Esox, mine shed completely this morning, with eye caps, and complete, no breaks in it, and the tail also come with it

and i didnt use a moss box and didnt spray or misted her either

quote:
Originally posted by gmac

quote:

M

you never ever peel back a snakes tail that has been retained even after soaking.

The moss box is to raise humidity to allow the snake to shed itself without intervention, that may well stress it by taking a partially sighted, possibly jumpy and defensive snake and submerging it in water, and to say the moss box is unlikely to help is really quite short sighted and naive. The moss hide has more than proven itself to work.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  15:14:01  Show Profile
quote:

stop being padantic

Its important to be pendantic when the subject in question is the care of an animal. Suppose someone has a snake and has very little experience, they wake up one morning to a snake with a retained piece of shed on the tail, they are worried so do a search, find this thread and see info about peeling the shed off. they go to their snake and because nobody corrected the wording they end up ripping the scales clean off the tail.

I try to word things the best way I can but I find that sometimes it either makes no sense or is just plain wrong and I'm thankful that someone comes along and corrects me, firstly as a learning experience for me but secondly because I wouldn't want something I have said to be taken at face value and ending up injuring an animal.

I will advise you to very carefully think about the fact you are insulting or generally irritating the people one here with lots of experience and people you may very well need the advice from in the future. I know forums are an ideas exchange but I have not seen anyone on here behaving in the manner you do. Its off subject so that is all i am going to say.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000