Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  01:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all , well i got my first corn snake yesterday . Hes a 7 month Crimson called Kyle .
we have brought a complete set up from the shop that sold the thermostat dimmer , hides , water bowl and plant , they said it will all be perfect for his lifespan apparently . At the min he is not in the viv as they suggested we keep him in the plastic container they have kept him in (it has a water bowl and hide) he got fed one the day we purchased him so we have let him be for now , we only handled him while we cleaned the soiled paper towel in the bottom . the thermostat is set to the right temp they and many others have suggested . To be honest at the moment hes not very active hes curled up under his hide , altho he was active when we cleaned him out. I wondered how long to wait before we begin to handle him ? they suggested we wait two feeds (hes on 1 fluff every 4 days , altho these look like pinkies that we have been given) is that about right? or could we handle him sooner? in the brief time we handled him today he was fairly calm, sniffing me out and sliding through my fingers.
sorry if i have rambled on , just want as much info as possible i guess! nice to meet u all :)
Law

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  08:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Laws, welcome to the forum, it's usually recommended that you allow any new snake a period of 7 days to settle into their new home, I'm not sure with corns as to whether waiting for 2 feeds is necessary, but I can't see it being a bad Idea, it's something I've tried to do with My Royals and my Crawl cay boa, just to make sure they are feeding happily.
Oh and once settled don't forget the photos, we always like to see new arrivals

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  08:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  09:09:29  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. Congratulations on your new addition. Our usual recommended time is 7 days without handling to give snakie chance to settle in. just daily water changes and spot checks. Also they shouldn't be handled for 48 hours after feeding because of the risk of a regurgitation. It is excellent that your set-up included a thermostat as many don't. Did it also include a digital thermometer as the dial and strip ones can be notoriously unreliable. These are really cheap on ebay so don't worry if it didn't.
It is also a good idea to keep records for your snake. Regular weight checks, length, what feeds and how often, sheds. I also note when mine poo so I can make sure everything is working as it should.
And the most important thing..... Pics please lol. We love seeing pics of other peoples snakies
A word of caution though. Snake keeping is addictive. A couple of weeks on here and you will have a fairly long wishlist

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  09:19:04  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
We normally say allow a settling period of a week. Also give the snake 48 hours after feeding to digest the mouse.
There's loads of info on the caresheet, via the homepage, have a look it's well worth reading!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  10:24:50  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome :)

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  13:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys for the replies! at this early stage me and my other half are stressing lots as to if we are doin the right things! we havent got a digi thermometer yet but we are going to pic one up when we have to pick some more food up! The set up wasnt a bad price as the viv is nice also , plus we got 30 % off our snake boy too . how do i post pictures on here then? we have taken a few of kyle , but its hard as he isnt in his viv yet . thanks for advice on handling him , im hoping he wont mind me holding him while my other half changes the paper towel and water , its literally for a few mins (he was great yesterday)

As for snakes being addictive , i already have plans to get another one! haha! xxxx

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  20:50:52  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum, kyle looks stunning :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

sparkaly
Hatchling

212 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  21:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome :)

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  21:29:46  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Kyle is beautiful.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  21:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the comments , sorry if the picture is too big im trying to figure out how to shrink it down . would u agree that he is a crimson? as i have seen some pics and he looks abit like an amel also? not to sure, on the box at the shop he was labelled crimson, but some of the morphs look similar !
we cleaned him out again today as he had pooped , i held him briefly while other half cleaned it , he was good as anything , he was very active after in his box asthough he wanted to be out more , cant wait a few more days so we can handle him more! tomorro we are going to give him his first feed , fingers crossed it all goes well!! xxx

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  23:53:29  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome here

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  19:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. Did a double take when I looked at your sig and saw you had *robot* hamsters lol.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  00:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehehe roborovski hammies yep , they are crazy :)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  09:08:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

catwig
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  17:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  19:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey , well kyles tank has been sorted now, complete wil digi thermoms . He has his first feed last nite and gobbled it down now problems . I'm thinking we need bigger than pinkies as there were no visible bump in his tummy after he had ate . Our local reptile shop said we could take him to them and they can double check the sex and check what sized food he should be on . Atm I would say he is 18-20 inches . How quick will he take to become around 26 inches ? We think he is about to shed as his colours aren't as vivid and he's eyes altho aren't completely blue , have def got a blue tinge to them , how long till he actually sheds ? His temps are right now and I got some moss to put under his hide ? Should I wait awhile to put it in ?

Go to Top of Page

catwig
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  00:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya and welcome to the forum
Go to Top of Page

paul9115
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  00:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome if you think he's going into shed I'd put it in now as once they go blue the skin is water tight so would be a waste of time should be a couple of weeks wouldn't recommend feeding him while he's in the shedding process as he will be quite uncomfortable hard to say how long it will take for him to reach a certain size as different snakes grow at different rates. How many pines are you feeding him? The size of prey should be roughly 1.5 times the diameter of the head. Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  08:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul9115

wouldn't recommend feeding him while he's in the shedding process as he will be quite uncomfortable

All mine feed when in shed without any problems
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  12:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we didnt quite realize he was in shed at first so on sun nite he was roaming around and wouldnt settle so we assumed he was hungry , fed him a pinkie which he devoured in seconds lol , we then left him for 2 days but on the second day we noticed he had regurgitated . he has finally shed and looks pretty now so im guessing thats why he regurged . we have kept a log and the process seemed to take 8 days so for next time we will kno what to look for and not to feed him incase he regurges again? does that sound right? xx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000